UFC 162 Results: Chris Weidman Stops Anderson Silva with Strikes in the Second Stanza

A spider spins its web strand by strand. So too has UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva (33-4) where his brilliant career is concerned, beating sixteen straight opponents in the Octagon including ten successful title-defenses leading up to tonight. While “The Spider” had created a beautiful design over seven years he’d called the Octagon home, unbeaten Chris Weidman (9-0) was out to smash it down at UFC 162 when the two collided inside the cage and succeeded in his desire to clean out the divisional cobwebs.

The main event lived up to expectations with Weidman taking Silva down early only to see the brilliant Brazilian get back up after a mistaken attempt to secure a submission. In the second round, Silva came out swinging and started showboating until the 29-year old New Yorker connected with a blow and sent him to the mat. Weidman landed a few follow-up shots and left Silva defenseless, laying claim to the gold.

After the fight, Silva announced he would pursue interests outside of the middleweight division and didn’t want a rematch with Weidman.

Other bouts on tap at tonight’s lineup included Cub Swanson-Dennis Siver, Mark Munoz-Tim Boetsch, Roger Gracie-Tim Kennedy, and Frankie Edgar-Charles Oliveira.

A full rundown of UFC 162 outcomes can be found below:

Mike Pierce def. David Mitchell via TKO Round 2 (Strikes)
Brian Melancon def. Seth Baczynski via Knockout Round 1 (Strikes)
Edson Barboza def. Rafaello Oliveira via TKO Round 2 (Leg Kicks)
Gabriel Gonzaga def. Dave Herman via TKO Round 1 (Strikes)
Norman Parke def. Kazuki Tokudome via Unanimous Decision
Andrew Craig def. Chris Leben via Split Decision
Cub Swanson def. Dennis Siver via TKO Round 3 (Strikes)
Mark Munoz def. Tim Boetsch via Unanimous Decision
Tim Kennedy def. Roger Gracie via Unanimous Decision
Frankie Edgar def. Charles Oliveira via Unanimous Decision
Chris Weidman def. Anderson Silva via TKO Round 2 (Strikes)

• THEGUNNER says:

I have nt ordered a ppv fight for a long time but this one finally seems worth the $.

• darth_irritable says:

Gunner, really? Silva is only interesting to see Silva fight – I don’t see Weidman coming close. Edgar’s always fun, but the rest is a pretty blah card, except maybe Swanson Siver. Boetsch/Munoz – two also rans and Roger “bore the everloving shit out of me Gracie”?

I’m still contemplating ordering, but it’s not a compelling card.

• AlphaOmega says:

Predictions:

Mike Pierce
    Seth Baczynski
    Rafaello Oliveira
    Dave Herman
    Kazuki Tokudome
    Chris Leben
    Dennis Siver
    Tim Boetsch
    Roger Gracie
    Charles Oliveira
    Anderson Silva

I’ve given my reasons why I don’t think Weidman will be able to do it, but I also think Frankie continues his slide for one more fight, why I don’t really know I think he’s just gotten to cocky/full of himself, and my gut says he loses this fight.

• THEGUNNER says:

I feel you darth im just thinking its ginna be better than korian zombie vs aldo card for me so id rather sit that one out. Plus win or lose silva should be fun to watch but edgar, muniz, swanson, and gracie are all legit ppv fights imo.

• Dufresne says:

It makes me happy that the first thing I saw when I tuned in was Gonzaga nailing Herman with the exact same shot that Nelson caught him with. If I’m right, Gonzaga knocked Herman’s UFC career out too.

• Dufresne says:

Oh look, Mazzagatti is doing a terrible job again.

• Dufresne says:

Damn good fight! Gotta love Swanson for stopping after he knew he was out.

• Dufresne says:

That might not be fight of the night, but it might get ass whooping of the night.

• Dufresne says:

Definitely fight of the night. Frankie should have that one.

• Dufresne says:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!

• SBERG says:

Congrats to Chris….

• Creature says:

Just gonna log in to say, im going to be in shock for the next few days/weeks. Cant believe that just happened.

• darth_irritable says:

Hope your cupboards are stocked boys, ’cause the end times are here.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

I will never forget this night…whoa

• Creature says:

Also want to say LOL at anyone and everyone who is saying or will try to say that Anderson threw the fight.. Getting cant exactly plan getting KTFO out like that.

Not saying anyone on FiveOunces is doing so, just to the tons of people who just cant accept what just happened and are saying such absurd things.

• darth_irritable says:

Yeah I saw some muppets saying that. Bottom line, he Overeemed, and paid the price.

There’s a beautiful irony to a Serra fighter doing to Silva what Serra did to GSP. I see the rematch going the same way.

• darth_irritable says:

Same way as the Serra rematch did…

• Rich S. says:

I’m not gonna say Silva threw the fight — that’s just crazy — but I’ve always held that Silva was going to lose when he wanted to. He didn’t want to win tonight.

• elsicilian says:

I don’t think Silva threw the fight, but it was a baffling performance in a couple of ways. He’s always a showboat, but we haven’t seen him really clowning in the ring except against guys like Thales Leites, Patrick Cote, and Demian Maia (ie. inferior fighters whom he felt didn’t even belong in the ring with him).

Secondly, he didn’t start completely goofing around until Weidman took him down for some serious G&P in the first round. Maybe he sensed that getting wrestled was the road to certain defeat, and decided to try goading Weidman into a stand-up fight, which he would presumably stand a better chance of winning. Seriously, if someone had told you yesterday this fight would end in a second round KO, wouldn’t you have assumed that meant Silva wins?

So I don’t think it’s fair to say he “Overeemed” (since his clowning seemed like a fighting tactic more than a sign of purposeful disrespect), though the outcome was pretty similar. But it’s bizarre to see such a dominant champion turn to such a desperate strategy so early in the fight, just like it was bizarre to see so many people in the fight game picking against such a dominant champion in the first place … maybe they all knew something we didn’t?

In any case it was a decisive victory for Wiedman, but not a very good fight, and not a very satisfying resolution to the top of the middleweight division. I personally hate to see such a magnificent championship run end in such a fashion, and I am honestly left with more questions than answers.

• Niv says:

It took me a while to see the fight as I’m in Colombia on holidays visiting my in-laws.

A bit of a surprise for me but I tend to side with the Overeemed stance. Silva refused to touch gloves at the beginning of the fight and showed Weidman very little respect throughout the fight.

I sense it was a little too much koolaid of invincibility at work and he paid dearly.

Full marks to the new champ, I’d like to see a rematch so we can prove one way or the other that Weidman was destined to be champ or not.

• RicM says:

……..no one is invincible, anyone can get caught, anything can happen………….God I love MMA……….

• AlphaOmega says:

Anyone else get the opinion Dana is kinda trying to extort Silva, after Silva said he didn’t want to fight for the belt, by saying that all the super fights are off the table unless Silva has the belt?

• Screenplaya says:

Q: GSP, how might you have avoided your upset loss?
    A: I could have tried to weather the storm after Matt Serra wobbled me, rather than wading in and trying to hurt him back.

Q: Anderson Silva, same question.
    A: I probably shouldn’t have been such a dbag.