Anderson Silva: “I would never fight a fight to lose.”

Anderson Silva: “I would never fight a fight to lose.”

Former UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva is widely seen as one of the greatest fighters to ever grace the cage, though few would argue his performance last night at UFC 162 was anything close to legendary. In the evening’s headliner, Silva squared off against Chris Weidman, attempting to bait the undefeated grappler to strike with him by dancing around and dropping his hands. Weidman bit, but blew Silva away with powerful, precise striking to become the new divisional king.

Silva spoke about his performance at the post-event press conference, admitting he’d taken the wrong approach to taking out Weidman.

“I always say I do my best and I feel tonight I did my best. I tried to induce Chris into playing my game and that didn’t work,” explained Silva. “He threw some shots that landed. I got caught, so obviously my gameplan didn’t work tonight. I can’t make any excuses.”

The 38-year old also addressed criticism about his actual desire to beat Weidman with some fans even going so far as to state he threw the tilt.

“I would never fight a fight to lose. I trained four months for this fight to win this fight,” said Silva. “It is what happened. I lost the fight. A fight’s a fight.”

The defeat snapped Silva’s sixteen-fight run in the Octagon and was his first legitimate loss since late 2004. Also notable, it was the first time he’d ever been stopped with strikes in a career spanning 38 scraps.

The full clip with Silva can be seen below:

• hindsightufuk says:

what a dick
    i wanted Anderson Silva to win not because i’m a huge fan but because i want someone to cement a legacey that will be talked about for years in this sport.
    so many great boxers will never be forgotten for their achievements in their own sport, but now Andseron Silva is gonna be remembered as much for acting like a clown and losing as he is for all that went before.
    what a dick

it does however open up a world of possibilities in the MW division

• raker says:

It’ll be interesting to see what this does to Silva moving forward. The clowning around, trying to draw guys in, elusiveness and showboating has been a part of his game for a long time. If he refuses to do that any more does he stand and trade.. Putting himself in greater jeopardy of losing? I’m looking toward to this rematch just to see what adjustments he makes and how that works out.

• hindsightufuk says:

be interesting to see if he recovers physically as well. How many guys can never take a punch the same after being knocked out clean the first time

• hindsightufuk says:

still can’t get over what a dick he was

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Speaking of dicks, I wonder how Steven Seagal feels about all this?

• hindsightufuk says:

why did no reporter ask
    ‘so Anderson, tell us, did you feel like an absolute cunt when you woke up on the floor earlier this evening?’

• stone says:

hindsight has a GREAT point…I honestly dont think Anderson will ever be the same. His eyes were rolled back before he even hit the canvas, then he took another good shot or two. Who knows, maybe his chin’s gone… He might be the ufc’s next Chuck Liddell

• jasonah says:

honestly, dont think he’s going to have to many more fights. I think the desire to compete is gone. plus he had a invinceable attitude.his performance was shitty and he got what he deserved.but i think that he made a asslode of money with betting in vegas.