Anthony Pettis open to action against Josh Thomson

Anthony Pettis open to action against Josh Thomson

UFC lightweight Anthony Pettis appears to be abandoning his attempt to dip down to 145 pounds and challenge for the title, opting instead to focus on his immediate future on his current divisional home. Pettis was previously scheduled to face featherweight champion Jose Aldo in a match-up next month but was forced out of the fight due to injury. Now, with his health returning to 100%, Pettis wants in the Octagon as soon as possible and has an opponent in mind – Josh Thomson.

Thomson called “Showtime” out in a recent interview based on Pettis’ standing as a top contender.

“I’m never afraid to fight anyone, and I’m tired of waiting,” said Pettis in an interview with MMAFighting. “If I’m supposed to be the best, then why not beat him in October?”

“Only bad thing is, no one really knows who he is,” the 18-2 Pettis concluded.

The only UFC event currently booked for October is UFC 166 (10/19).

Thomson returned to the UFC in April after an extended run in Strikeforce where he held lightweight gold. He holds an overall record of 20-5 including wins over Nate Diaz, Pat Healy, and Gilbert Melendez.

• AlphaOmega says:

No one really knows who Thompson is?

Always a bridesmaid…never a bride.

I like Pettis but his mouth has been running alot lately… guess he’s just trying to stay in the game.

Plenty of ppl know who The Punk is and I wouldn’t take him lightly ShowTime.

• fanoftna33 says:

Exactly, more people know the Punk now that he koed a Diaz brother, and holds a dominate win over Melendez that ever. Pettis was one of my favorite fighters to watch but after trying to get into the Henderson fight instead of Grant and now this junk I think maybe all the hype has gone to his head.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Unless pettis can do the unfathomable, I see Thomson as rated higher than him at this point in time and would bet money that Josh would win this match

• SBERG says:

Tough fight to pick…Seems like forever since Pettis last fought..I know it was January but considering it was his only fight over the past year and a half you have to wonder if ring rust will play a role…I like Thomson but his willingness to get too wild could be a bad thing with someone like Pettis. If the fight does happen in October I guess I would go with Thomson.

• AlphaOmega says:

Well Pettis gets his wish, Grant is out against Henderson, now Pettis steps in to take the fight. yet he’s suppose to be to injured to do it, but now he’s not according to drs, makes no sense.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Pettis by way of sub

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

pettis is now official as the headliner