Nick Diaz reportedly offered “neat” match-up for return to the ring

Nick Diaz reportedly offered “neat” match-up for return to the ring

If UFC welterweight Nick Diaz is truly interested in returning to the ring again as he recently implied it looks like the organization’s matchmaking team already has an opponent in mind. Though details are still sketchy, Diaz’s longtime trainer and manager Cesar Gracie revealed his star pupil had been offered a fight and was mulling it over before making a commitment.

“There is an offer on the table, that’s all I can say. It’s something everyone is looking at right now and discussing with him,” said Gracie in an interview with BJPenn.com. “Dana White has offered him a fight. There is an offer on the table, I can’t say who it is, but it’s kind of neat I think. But no decision’s have been made for sure.”

As alluded to, no name/date were provided though many have speculated that Demian Maia could be the man in question. Maia was scheduled to face Josh Koscheck at UFC 163 but saw the fight all apart when “Kos” went down with an injury while training. The slick submission specialist has also expressed past interest in testing his skill against Diaz’s.

Interestingly enough, White has denied Gracie’s claim, telling MMAFighting, “Nobody at the UFC talked to Gracie or anyone else that reps Nick.”

Diaz was last seen suffering a decision defeat to champion Georges St-Pierre in a March meeting. After the bout he announced he once again planned to hang his gloves up for good though the controversial Californian has backed off the notion of retirement within the last few weeks. The former Strikeforce title-holder is 26-9-1 including notable wins against the likes of Frank Shamrock, Robbie Lawler, Paul Daley, and B.J. Penn.

• SBERG says:

So basically were supposed to beleive the UFC is just gonna give Diaz a gimmie fight? ( Not speaking of Maia, I think Maia beats him easily). Why would Dana do that? Makes no sense? Ok his “badboy” image sells tickets to a extent but I think that aura has been cracked rather handily by him losing his last two fights. I mean he’s just a name now, there’s no substance anymore. I think it’s a disservice by UFC to pander to this guy. Let him live under the rock he hides under. His time has passed. Sorry just never been a fan of the guy.

• joe mo mma says:

A “neat” fight would be Diaz vs. the winner (or loser) of Ellenberger vs MacDonald. I would love to see any of those two guys shut Diaz down once and for all. A fight with Maia, although interesting, has signs of a snooze fest written all over it based on their fighting styles.

• fanoftna33 says:

Sberg, how has his aura been cracked since losing his last two fights? He tried and failed to go toe to toe with Condit and lost a decision where Condit did little else but point fight ( which I hate personally but agree Condit did win ) and he stood toe to toe and did pretty well and better than GSP in the stand up but as we all know and have for the last 8 years his wrestling defense is basically nonexistant. What exactly about his aura was cracked here?
    If they have him fight Maia that will be a blast, or a Matt Brown fight could be some serious fireworks.

• SBERG says:

How to answer? Hmmmm…..Coming into UFC there was a “aura that he would come in and dominate UFC caliber competition…well….he lost to condit in a standup fight that was supposed to be his bread and butter, ya know, the whole punches in bunches thing. That didn’t work. He was clearly outclassed by a better fighter. Then he moans and groans and says “I’m retiring.(Made him look like a puss actually)Then he gets a undeserved title shot( His name sells I get it) and loses pretty handily there too. Then he moans and groans again and says ” Im retiring”(Made him look like a bigger puss).
    Now if the story is true he’s possibly willing to fight a “neat” matchup. So my assumption goes like this – When someone is handled with kid gloves this openly the “Aura” of being a badass no longer exists. He’s a spoiled little child that can’t hang with top level talent so he needs a “neat” matchup. Whether you like it or not he’s nothing more than a protected gatekeeper now based on the selling power of his name and that is surely to go by the wayside when he loses again to a top level guy should he even get in the ring with one.
    Look at his career, who has he really beat? Chris lytle in 2002 ,ok.
    Robbie Lawler in 2004, ok
    Drew fickett in 2005, ehh not that impressive.
    Josh Neer in 2006, ehh but ok.
    Gleison Tibau in 2006, ehhh
    Paul Daley in 2011, sorry but he sucks too.
    B.J Penn in 2011, He was old.
    Most of the others were mostly low level gatekeepers( KJ Noons, Scott Smith) and Frank Shamrock was old too.
    Now who He’s lost too – Karo Parisyan in 2004
    Diego Sanchez in 2005
    Joe Riggs in 2006, really?
    Sean Sherk in 2006 – Those 3 were back to back to back.
    Carlos Condit in 2012
    GSP in 2013
    So basically every real bigtime fight he’s had he’s lost, That’s a recipe for a cracked aura. And Matt Brown would eat him alive. Case closed.
    And Matt Brown would eat him alive.

• SBERG says:

oooppss sorry for the repost on the Matt Brown thing. Didn’t realize I didn’t erase it…lol

• Richard Stabone says:

Nick is not an elite fighter (never beaten a clear top-10 WW) but I respect his well-rounded skills and the way he presses the action. With Nick they need to ditch the forced title fights and just put together exciting matchups that make sense… a rematch against either Lawler or Condit would be great. Or Matt Brown, Alves, Cote, Ellenberger (if he loses to Rory)… there’s plenty of matchups to be made that would almost certainly deliver exciting action.

• Richard Stabone says:

I’m not a Diaz fan but some of you guys are going overboard with the way you’re downplaying his skills as a fighter. Against a guy like Brown I think it would be an awesome fight, but in the midst of them standing & banging I think Nick would overwhelm him and either finish it with strikes or latch onto a sub. Brown is on a nice run lately, but to me he’s right around the level of fighter that Nick eats up… it’s once he moves up to the true contenders that Nick becomes a bit overmatched.

• SBERG says:

Ok I’ll retract the Matt Brown part( still like Matt to win), maybe I just got a little ahead of myself . I agree with what your saying in both of your posts Richard but my point was to the other poster who questioned why I thought the “aura” of Nick was cracked. I don’t think I’m downplaying his skills, more that I agree that against mid- tier guys he’ll look great but against anyone of relevance he’ll be exposed for what he is. Hope that clears it up a little …lol

• THEGUNNER says:

Calling nick diaz a puss is funny. If nick had tack down defense hed be a top 10 fighter but look at whos champ right now. Cain, jbj, weidman, gsp. Hard to win without wrestling. Im thinking diaz doesnt want to title or fight the next generations but rather fan freindly fights for $ and to stay fighting.

• MCM says:

With Diaz, it’s his attitude that has made him a bigger star than his fighting skills merit. Everyone wants to throw him in with top 10 fighters when he’s clearly not top 10 material.

Think of it this way, Diaz hasn’t beaten a legit top 10er since he got high and choked out Gomi in Feb of ’07. Jon Jones was still a year away from his very first pro fight in ’07. Chuck Liddell was still the king of the LHW division. The UFC didn’t even have a LW division when Diaz last beat a top fighter.

If Nick was fighting guys at his skill level, he’d be fighting the Jordan Mein, Jason High, and Mike Swicks of the division, not the Ellenberger, Maia, and Rory’s.

IF (and that’s a big if) he comes back, he could take on another “name” on the downside of his career like Koscheck in what would be a great smack talk war. Other than that, he should be fighting guys in top 15-20 as that’s where he belongs. And that’s not a knock on Diaz as a person, that’s an honest assessment of his fighting accomplishments and abilities.

• raker says:

I agree with that MCM. Diaz has lost to fighters such as Diego and Parisyan and has really only beaten guys outside of the top ten in recent years. Many of the Elite XC/Strikeforce fighters (Shields, Miller, Diaz, Melendez) have come into the UFC with great promise but have failed to deliver. Maybe it’s because the UFC has tried to market them as championship material when they’re not. At the very least it shows that the competition in those events was not as good as the UFC events.

• SBERG says:

This is the most action in a column I’ve seen in a while…..Bout time we had some conversation up in here…lol. All kidding aside everyone makes some very valid points. I understand he has alot of fans , I for one am just not one of them so if anything I say seems like it has a bit of bias I apologize.

• AlphaOmega says:

You should of seen the column for UFC 121, over 3 different articles, that was some crazy stuff