Joe Lauzon: “I couldn’t be happier with the pay structure.”

Joe Lauzon: “I couldn’t be happier with the pay structure.”

UFC lightweight Joe Lauzon is far from being the highest paid fighter in the organization. In fact, he’s never challenged for a title or even strung together more than three wins in a row while competing under the UFC banner. However, don’t expect Lauzon to issue any complaints about the way he and his peers are paid.

Lauzon sat down with 1460 AM Sports Radio in Boston this week where he discussed a gripe that’s become increasingly common in recent months.

“We’re paid fighters, so getting in to the UFC doesn’t mean you’re gonna have this cushy job. You get paid based on how your performance goes,” explained Lauzon. “I’ve been very fortunate where I have had some great fights and I’ve been rewarded with some bonuses. I couldn’t be happier with the pay structure. It all comes down to people wanting to see you fight.”

The 22-8 Lauzon is tied with middleweight legend Anderson Silva for the most event-specific bonuses in UFC history at twelve. He’ll be shooting for #13 in a little less than a month when he mixes it up with Michael Johnson at UFC Fight Night: Shogun vs. Sonnen.

• AlphaOmega says:

I know pay has always been bouncing around between us fans and stuff, but why is it all of a sudden being addressed by so many fighters? Usually the only time it is, is when a fighter is leaving or just left and they want to bitch.

Maybe it is a sign of change, or people wanting change, but usually something has to happen for so many people to start speaking out, just seems odd to me.

• SBERG says:

I think the reality is if Dana wants to be on par with other major pro sports he’s going to have to accept that the unionizing of fighters within the UFC will come into play at some point. I know on the gambling side of things the Fertitta bros. are against unions but if the UFC is going to grow the way Dana wants it too it’s going to become a real legal battle. All it takes is one big name fighter and a lawyer with the intelligible know how to get the ball rolling and change will start. Will the process be long and grueling? Yes, absolutely. But at some point it’s going to come.

• SBERG says:

Now keep in mind this isn’t like boxing where you have multiple promoters negotiating fights. Dana is the only promoter so in essence he is the equivalent of a “Commissioner”. So it’s either get ready for a union war or cross promotion war. Not sure where it goes but I assume the union idea wins out over cross promoting. Maybe.

• jjdnb says:

i think that Unions are ruining this country, using strong-arm and/or Mobster tactics. But since the UFC use the same tactics and might actually be connected…I say let the Unions get their hands on Dana…

• MCM says:

Nothing ruins a country faster than an 8hr work day, 5 day work week and a liveable wage.

• SBERG says:

Well put MCM. Out of respect for 5oz of pain I’ll refrain from absolutely blowing this topic up and taking it way off into waters no one wants to swim in….