Roy Nelson-Daniel Cormier sign informal bout agreement in hopes of making rumble a reality

Though no news has surfaced relating to heavyweight Roy Nelson (19-8) signing a new UFC deal, he and divisional peer Daniel Cormier haven’t slowed down on their shared attempt to secure October action against one another. Both big men have talked a bit of playful trash online and now they’ve taken it a step further by creating an informal bout agreement for a fight at UFC 166.

Cormier started the exchange, producing a handwritten deal on a piece of notebook paper and posting it on Twitter. The unbeaten grappler also added a bit of friendly ribbing by including the phrase “No Point” in the area assigned to Nelson’s “Win Money”.

Before long, Nelson produced a copy of his own with his signature added into the mix, sending a Tweet out shortly thereafter stating, “What are you waiting for, Uncle Dana White’s permission? Because I am ready!! Just in case you missed it.”

Nelson was last seen absorbing a ton of strikes from Stipe Miocic in a match-up he took on short notice. The loss laid waste to a three-fight winning streak for the big-bellied brawler. Comparably, Cormier is 12-0 and brought home a decision victory over Frank Mir last April in his Octagon debut.

UFC 166 is scheduled for October 19 in Houston, Texas.

• SBERG says:

Gonna be a bad night for Nelson unless he lands a miracle and I just don’t see it happening….Cormier is just too good at this point.

• THEGUNNER says:

If nelson was in there with him instead of mir I think it would be bad for d c. Im thinking cain beats d c thats qhy he do want the strap I bet I dc had gold cain would take it.

• MickeyC says:

They should do this on new years at 205lbs. But as much as I like roy he just does not have the disaplin to loose the weight.

• SBERG says:

That pic of Nelson needs to be a Caption Of The Day candidate…..

• AlphaOmega says:

I want to say it was at one point

• SBERG says:

Well… It needs to be again cause that’s got win potential written all over it….Not even gonna get into what I wanna add to it but I got some evil ideas running through my noodle..lol

• MCM says:

That’s what I’ve been saying MickeyC. If the UFC made it a stipulation of his new contract (and paid for a dietician) I’m pretty sure we’d be seeing a……svelt? Roy Nelson.

• SBERG says:

I just don’t see Nelson ever going to 205….Yea he talks about it but talking and doing are two separate things. Better chances of him being cut than dropping weight…..Not that I want him cut, he’s entertaining but that’s a more realistic scenario.

• AlphaOmega says:

Technically he is cut, he doesn’t have a contract with the UFC currently

• MCM says:

Roy got to 246 for the Werdum fight (pretty sure it was Werdum) on his own with no dietician and no weight cutting. If he brought someone in to handle his diet, he could easily make 225-230 before starting his weight cut. Does that necessarily mean he can make 205? No. But I’d rather see him as a 230lb HW where he could at least USE his grappling. And signing him to fight at 205 seems to be the only way to reliably get him to drop the unnecessary weight.

• SBERG says:

Alpha I mean cut like your not fighting in UFC anymore……He’s negotiating a new deal. Makes a bit of a difference but I know you know that.

• SBERG says:

MCM I totally agree with you but ….and I say but…There is no way he signs a new deal stipulating that he drop to 205. He’s the fatboy underdog with a iron chin people love to see bang away. Believe me I would love to see him get super serious and take conditioning to a new level . I mean if Joe Riggs can do it why not him ,right? Still I just don’t see it…..Let’s hope he proves me wrong.