Stephan Bonnar calls out Tito Ortiz over Hall of Fame comments

Stephan Bonnar calls out Tito Ortiz over Hall of Fame comments

UFC light heavyweight legend Tito Ortiz recently teased the possibility of returning to the ring despite retiring more than a year ago, citing his improved health and the itch to compete again as factors in his decision. Fortunately for Ortiz, he already has one individual who appears more than willing to lock horns with him in the Octagon and he also happens to be a retired UFC Hall of Famer as well.

Stephan Bonnar, who was inducted earlier this month based on his historic Ultimate Fighter Finale fight with Forrest Griffin, didn’t take too kindly to some comments from Ortiz questioning his spot in the organization’s HoF and took it a step further by directing a handful of personal jabs at Ortiz during a recent exchange with a fan.

“I’m just gonna call it like it is, I’m gonna help him out. We all know he’s broke. We know Jenna Jameson took all his money. You know, Punishment Clothing, the only people I see wearing that nowadays are homeless people. The management company, you know – not making any money there,” said Bonnar with a chuckle in a video captured by APE12A. “So I’m gonna help the poor guy get paid.”

Though the remarks are the first time “The American Psycho” has expressed interest in coming back to compete, the fan-favorite is certainly healthy enough to do so if desired. Bonnar retired in late 2012 after testing positive for performance enhancing drugs after a short-notice scrap with Anderson Silva.

On paper, the match-up would certainly appear to be an even one. Bonnar is 15-8 with ten finishes, while Ortiz compiled a 16-11-1 record in his career including wins over  Griffin, Ryan Bader, and Vitor Belfort.

• MickeyC says:

I would be on board with this, BUT, You know as well as I do that it would not be a one fight come back thing. Whoever won would of course try to hang in there for another one. And though both guys were great in their prime, neither are there now. And the drama soap opera grudge side of the fight may sell it, odds are it would not live up to the hype.

PS I agree with most if not all of ortiz’s comments. Bonner has no right being in any hall of fame. I realize the importace of the Griffen fight. But if the repeated PID abuse does not disqualify the guy I do not know what would.

• SBERG says:

No…No…and …..No…..In case I left one out….No…

• Creature says:

I’m always game for watching that cry baby Tito get punched in the face. So hopefully this fight happens.

• SBERG says:

You can thumbs down me all ya want on this one………NOOO!!!!!!!!!

• raker says:

If someone wants to put this fight together, go ahead. As long as its outside of the UFC or on the prelims. Don’t expect me to pay for it. Shitty thing is it’s two of the very few UFC HOF members. If they pull this off it’ll be in the UFC and probably on the main card.

• THEGUNNER says:

No intrested at all.if they do come back do it strong and take your beating like bj did against rory which hurt to watch but he took on a contender.

• SBERG says:

I don’t care how healthy Tito says he is, he’ll never make through a full on camp to prepare for a fight with his neck the way it is. No one ever recovers 100% from neck and back conditions that required the kind of surgery he’s had. Let alone enough to compete in a full on mixed martial arts fight. I can go on with the Tito thing but I’ll stop there.
    Stephan Bonnar….Oye…Where to begin? Ok…The dude tested positive in his last fight and just retired so basically no punishment handed down because he …..Retired…Meaning not a active fighter. In order to fight again you would have to un-retire and become a active fighter again. If that’s the case then any suspension he should have served should be applied upon becoming a active fighter again( Don’t start in with the time served crap). Unless of course Dana or someone of extreme UFC brass gets in the ear of the commission to let it slide…… Because we all know that crap never happens. Either way I still think it more comes down to Tito and his neck and back issues. So once again I resoundingly say ………..NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bring on the thumbs down bombs, I welcome it… TY.