UFC re-signs Roy Nelson, makes match-up with Daniel Cormier

UFC re-signs Roy Nelson, makes match-up with Daniel Cormier

After weeks of talking about it, a tilt between heavyweights Roy Nelson and Daniel Cormier has been officially inked for UFC 166. Both men had been openly lobbying for the fight with things even going so far a fake bout agreement was written up.

UFC officials have confirmed the clash. The news also means Nelson, formerly a free agent, has been re-signed by the organization though terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The 19-8 Nelson was last seen on the wrong side of a decision against Stipe Miocic but had won three fights in a row prior to the stumble including knockouts in each. Among the opponents “Big Country” has beaten via TKO are the likes of Cheick Kongo, Matt Mitrione, Brendan Schaub, and Stefan Struve.

Cormier is unbeaten twelve fights into his career. He made his UFC debut earlier this year, outpointing Frank Mir in a fairly one-sided effort.

UFC 16 is scheduled for October 19 in Houston, Texas and features heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez defending his title against Junior dos Santos in the main event.

• SBERG says:

I’m sticking with my statement from a separate article….Unless Nelson hits a miracle he’s in for a bad night. Cormier is just too good for him.

• AlphaOmega says:

It’s kinda funny, Big Country made the comment that the UFC begged him to take this fight and he agreed, and yet he spent a week before hand on twitter and facebook saying he wanted the fight and he’d fight anyone, and even signed the fake contract that Corimer made up.

• SBERG says:

Maybe just some posturing on Nelsons’ part. Talk a good game while in limbo then when the new contract for him is signed he backs off the Cormier statements. Then Dana and Joe Silva say ” You opened your mouth now you got to fight him”.

• waitetr says:

I’m quite interested in seeing how the Frank Mir curse affects DC. In case you don’t know whoever beats Mir loses their next bout. It’s quite strange really…that being said I would think on paper DC will will based on speed and agility but I can’t bet against the curse so it will be interesting.

• THEGUNNER says:

He beat mir but mir looked like it was his day off. I still say if he dont want to fight cain get out of the division.

• MCM says:

Wait, there’s a curse I’m unaware of?, this changes everything. I was rooting for Big Country simply because I always will, but now that there is a curse to back me up I might actually put money on this one.

And NO, I’m not being sarcastic.

• SBERG says:

Save your money MCM…..There’s alot better value you can get for throwing your money away on something dumb like…Mcdonalds, taking your girlfriend to the movies and watching a chic flick( ouch, low blow, that hurt writing it), the zoo( now im just reaching). LOL

• raker says:

Gonna be a boring fight. The entire thing is going to be up against the cage. I hope I’m wrong and they showcase some of their highly regarded ground skills.

• MCM says:

@SBERG

First off, I love the fucking Zoo.
    Secondly, you’re new here so you don’t know about my whole LHW Curse and the reasoning why Jon Jones was the only man who was going to be able to successfully defend it more than once.
    MMA curses are real. Whoa be to those that ignore them.

• SBERG says:

I like the zoo too but as far as betting Nelson to win I would rather spend the cash at the zoo…. And curses aren’t real..sorry…And that time you put a tooth under your pillow and got a dollar….that was really your parents…yea the tooth fairy was fake too….and now the big one….ya might wanna strap yourself down in case you completely freak out…..SANTA CLAUS isn’t real…I got video to prove it……and last but not least dividing by zero does nothing but amount to zero…I tried it….nothing happened….Other than that Nelson still needs a miracle to win this fight…more power to him if he pulls it off but I’m thinking about a new holiday called …Saint Happening……