Rory MacDonald: “No, I won’t be fighting Georges.”

Rory MacDonald: “No, I won’t be fighting Georges.”

UFC welterweight Rory MacDonald looks like a champion in the making. At 23 years old, “Ares” has gone 14-2 with twelve finishes and noteworthy wins over Nate Diaz, Mike Pyle, and B.J. Penn. However, to win divisional gold MacDonald might have to fight mentor (and current title-holder) Georges St-Pierre.

Or not.

According to MacDonald, he has no plans on ever crossing paths with GSP in the Octagon even though UFC President Dana White has previously hinted at the possibility.

“No, I won’t be fighting Georges. When the fight comes, if we ever had to meet up, we wouldn’t fight. I’m not fighting him,” said MacDonald in a conversation captured by MMAFighting, stating he’d rather bulk up than face his close friend. “We’ll see. I don’t want to think about it until the time. I’ll keep fighting. He’ll keep fighting. It’ll work its way out. I could go up (to middleweight) for sure.”

MacDonald will have to get by Jake Ellenberger this weekend at UFC on FOX 8 before concerning himself with championships of any sort. The bout is serving as the show’s co-headliner.

• raker says:

Rory could be a beast at MW. I hope he makes that move.

• hindsightufuk says:

Georges not gonna be champion for long anyway

• fanoftna33 says:

GSP will crush Hendricks.

• MCM says:

That’s only cause he’s gonna walk away from the belt hindsight.

Rory may have all the talent in the world, but I don’t think his career is going to last very long. He’s had to back out of half the fights he’s been scheduled for cause he keeps accumulating injuries. I think father time is gonna catch up with this 23yr old a lot quicker than everyone thinks. This may sound crazy, but I’ll be kinda shocked if he has 10 fights against top talent left in him.

• Richard Stabone says:

I don’t know if Hendricks will beat GSP (though I think he’s capable & it wouldn’t at all shock me), but one way or another I don’t think GSP will be holding the WW belt that much longer.

George has been fighting for the UFC for nearly a full decade. He’s conquered the WW division. He’s earned several millions of dollars along the way. He’s on the wrong side of 30 and is the oldest person currently holding a UFC belt. He’s dropped hints before and I believe George is already planning his exit strategy.

Once he hangs up the gloves he’ll have no shortage of opportunities to pursue, from acting to business ventures to staying in the fight game in some other capacity… basically anything he wants to do. And it won’t require busting his ass in the gym nearly every day and putting further wear & tear on his body. He experienced the devastating knee injuries / surgery / lengthy rehab, so he knows of that risk first hand. And at the same time, for a guy who’s fought as long as he has his overall health is very well intact and there becomes less & less incentive to jeopardize that. He’s already set for life financially.

So I’ll put an over/under on it… I say GSP’s fightin’ days will be over by the end of 2014.

• SBERG says:

At 23 I can’t see him staying at WW. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him move up relatively soon. I’m not a fan of guys saying they wont fight each other but it is what it is. Even if he loses to Jake he’s still young enough to recover any momentum lost, whether it’s moving up or fighting more at WW. He’s got plenty of time to mature as a fighter, If and I say if he can avoid any major injuries. So we’ll see….

• Richard Stabone says:

@MCM Ten fights is a pretty high number, even for a young buck like Rory. With GSP, just as an example to put things into perspective a bit, 10 fights takes him all the way back to the 2nd Hughes fight (before he recaptured the belt from Serra). But I’d still take the over in Rory’s case. It’s GSP whose fight days are on the countdown.

And I think Rory’s injury issues are overstated. He’s a young guy that apparently goes full throttle in the gym, even at times when he should probably rein it in a bit when a fight is approaching. He’ll figure that out with experience/maturity, and some of it is probably as simple as good/bad luck which tends to even out over time. Even with the injuries, this weekend will be his 7th fight with the UFC since debuting at the start of 2010… not the busiest fighter around, but compared to other UFC guys he’s managed to stay pretty active.

As far as the actual topic at hand, I have no problem with certain guys not fighting each other. It shouldn’t be too broad with entire gyms refusing to fight each other, but when it comes down to specific individual scenarios, where there is a mentorship or other similar bond, I can appreciate the tricky position these guys are in. It’s a minor constraint that comes with combat sports.

• MCM says:

GSP is a bad example. He’s only had 3 fights since Dec 2010. Look at other top contenders like Hendricks or Ellenberger and they’ve had 6 or 7 fights in that same time span. They are also hitting their primes at 28 and 29 yrs old. Maybe the 10 fight thing was a little misleading. How bout I say Rory’s gonna be on his downhill slide before he’s 27yrs old.

And I’ve got no problem with fighters not fighting teammates either. It’s their careers and if they choose to pass up more lucrative opportunities that’s up to them.