Daniel Cormier calling for title-shot with win at UFC 166

Daniel Cormier calling for title-shot with win at UFC 166

UFC heavyweight Daniel Cormier has been very clear about his interest in dropping down to 205 pounds based on his 5’11” frame and friendship with divisional king Cain Velasquez . Now, the unbeaten contender has confirmed he’ll definitely make the dip after his UFC 166 showdown with Roy Nelson where plans on making two statements in the Octagon.

The first will come in the form of an impressive win over Nelson. The second, according to a report on UFC Tonight, will involve a plea for a pairing with the winner of a September scrap between champion Jon Jones and challenge Alexander Gustafsson during his post-fight victory speech.

If Cormier succeeds on taking out the always-tough “Big Country” it would ne hard to argue against his status as a challenger to the title. The former Olympian is 12-0 with success against the likes of Antonio Silva, Josh Barnett, and Frank Mir. Eight of his victories have featured some form of finish.

UFC 166 is scheduled for October 19 in Houston, Texas and features Velasquez defending his belt against former champ Junior dos Santos.

• SBERG says:

I like Cormier I really do but i’m not sure he automatically deserves a title shot at a different weight class( assuming he beats Nelson). I know Dana and Joe Silva can make what ever matches they want but it just kinda looks bad for the other LHW’S that have been going back and forth jockeying for position. It’s alot different than a Anderson Silva situation as far as him moving up based on him being a former champ and surefire HOF fighter. Let Cormier fight one or two times at LHW first and then throw him in the mix.

• MCM says:

Frankie, Chael, Pettis, Vitor, and B.J. didn’t “deserve” it either but they all got one.
    I’m not saying Cormier deserves it but I understand why he’s lobbing for a title shot and I don’t blame him in the least. What the UFC decides to do is what the UFC decides to do, but if I was in Cormier’s place, I’d be making as much noise as possible in hopes of getting that extra pay raise too.

• SBERG says:

Ok cool….Let’s go one step further now and say he does get the shot at 205….Who ya got? Me personally really thinks with added speed due to weight cut, assuming he can keep strength, Cormier has a real deal chance of putting Jones on his ass bigtime. Yes I’m predicting Cormier for the win…

• fanoftna33 says:

I for sure think he deserves a title shot here, after all he is 12 and 0 with wins over past UFC champ Mir, title challenger Silva, another past UFC champ Barnette, title challenger Monson, I do not see how he hasnt earned a shot at the belt yet. With this list of accomplishments he should be able to fight for any belt he makes weight for.

• SBERG says:

@ fanoftna33…. It’s not that he doesn’t deserve a crack at the heavyweight belt..He’s said repeatedly he will not fight his buddy Cain so that takes care of that. But yea Cormier is the real thing , no doubt. I just think he should fight one of the top LHW’S first , then get Jones. But we’ll see how it plays out…LHW division is pretty deep right now so there’s tons of ways this could go.

• Richard Stabone says:

I think JBJ would beat any HW other than Cain. And I’m not talking about down the road, if he decides to move up to HW and takes time to bulk up a bit. I mean right now.

With Cormier specifically, JBJ is 8+ years younger and has a 12-inch reach advantage. Jones would beat him as things stand today, and once DC finishes shedding all the weight it’ll just swing things even further in Jones’ favor.

Nothing against DC – I like the dude and he’s obviously a hell of a fighter. But Jones is just that damn good, and he’s just entering his prime.

• SBERG says:

I think Dos Santos would give Jones major problems as well. That’s not a walk in the park for him. Most of the others Jones should do well against ( Barnett could be a issue too but he’s a little long in the tooth so maybe not). I don’t think the weight cut hurts Cormier that much. He’s a small compact dude, his frame could handle 205 well and still be super productive… so we’ll see at some point I’m sure.

• AlphaOmega says:

He could handle it if he did it right, but the problem is that when he wrestled he didn’t do it correctly, and it toasted his body/kidneys. So now a weight cut is pretty risky if he rushes it.

• THEGUNNER says:

Dc needs to get a finish at lhw first imo. Then jbj can out wrestle him out strike him the tap him out.

• Richard Stabone says:

With Bones, I’m not saying a guy like JDS would be a walk in the park for him. I’m simply saying I’d favor JBJ (right now) against anybody on the UFC roster other than Cain (and I’d probably call that one a pick’em).

Against someone like JDS, Bones wouldn’t be giving up much size, he’d still have a significant reach advantage, superior wrestling, etc. Obviously JDS is a very dangerous striker, but Bones has faced some pretty good strikers along the way (Shogun, Rampage, Machida, Vitor) with very minimal challenge.

Doesn’t mean a fight against DC wouldn’t be interesting/competitive. I just think Jones would be a clear favorite, more than the general fan base would like to admit.

• SBERG says:

@ Richard Stabone ……Agreed. Except for Cain. I think JBJ gets handled in that one.