Tim Kennedy-Vitor Belfort booked for bout in Brazil

Tim Kennedy-Vitor Belfort booked for bout in Brazil

UFC middleweight Vitor Belfort may not like it, but it looks like “The Phenom” will have to risk his claim to a title-shot in the coming months while champion Chris Weidman attempts to prove his win over Anderson Silva wasn’t a fluke. Though nothing official has been announced, Tim Kennedy has gone on record as stating he’s set for a scrap with Belfort and agreed to the ominous task of taking on the hard-hitting contender in his proverbial backyard.

“I’m going to Brazil to fight Vitor! I’m bringing ranger panties, Greg Jackson and Ranger Up,” exclaimed Kennedy on Twitter, showing his lighter side in the face of a serious showdown.

The specific card was not mentioned though it will likely occur after September given the UFC’s current slate of shows.

Kennedy is 16-4 and on a two-fight winning streak including an ugly-but-effective outpointing of Roger Gracie in his Octagon debut. Thirteen of his wins have featured some form of finish while he himself has only been stopped a single time (due to a cut no less).

The 23-10 Belfort is 4-0 at 185 pounds since losing to Silva two years ago. His most recent rumbles have both resulted in knockouts of Michael Bisping and Luke Rockhold respectively.

• raker says:

1. This protects Vitors title shot because he’s going to annihilate Kennedy.

2. Is the UFC setting Kennedy up to oust him from the roster? He hasn’t been impressive.

• MCM says:

@ raker

1. Probably. But I’ll have to watch the Kennedy/Lawler fight again to see how he does against accurate, powerful strikers before I completely count him out.

2. Yep. I think the UFC had an issue with Ranger Up wear and Kennedy was very vocal about it before ZUFFA bought SF.

• SBERG says:

I think annihilate is a strong word..Kennedy is a tough dude…Not saying Vitor wont win but I don’t think it’s a total steamroll session.

• MCM says:

“Not sure UFC is setting Kennedy up…I mean your in the bigtime now , you want fame and glory ya gotta beat top guys to get it.”

Maybe SBERG. But Philippou and Mousasi (both ranked in the top 10) were calling out Vitor and instead he’s given Kennedy (not top 10). Shouldn’t Vitor have to “beat the top guys” too?

• SBERG says:

I was looking at it from Kennedy’s perspective but yea I hear ya……Plus I didn’t take into account the whole Ranger Up thing so You have a point there.

• Richard Stabone says:

Vitor should be fighting Mousasi. This is crap.

And yeah, between the Ranger Up stuff and Kennedy’s recent bold comments about fighter pay, I have no doubt that played into putting this matchup together. But I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kennedy pull off the upset. He’s a very durable fighter, having never been finished by strikes, and once it gets past the 1st round I could see Kennedy start to overwhelm Vitor and grind out a victory.

Either way, this matchup sucks.

• Richard Stabone says:

^ Not saying I’m picking Kennedy to win. Vitor is an elite fighter, and it’s tough to pick against him against anybody other than the very top guys. He’ll eat up the fellow strikers… Franklin, Sexyama, Anthony Johnson, Bisping, Rockhold. But stylistically, Tim could cause problems for Vitor.

I just don’t get this matchup from any angle. It sucks.

• SBERG says:

I agree Richard….Both thumbs up are from me….

• raker says:

I’d rather see Vitor fighting Mousasi or Phillipou and ill guess that those two will end up fighting each other. Vitor/Kennedy gets a shot at the belt. Mousasi/Phillipou winner gets the next one.

• raker says:

On second thought…maybe the winner if that one gets winner of Bisping/Munoz

• Dufresne says:

I think this has as much to do with the UFC not wanting to give Vitor another title shot as it does anything else.

Keith Kizer of NSAC has flat out said that Nevada would not give Vitor a TRT exemption due to him having positive steroid tests in the past. There’s no way that the UFC is going to risk having a champion that can’t fight in their home state or more likely, in the entire US since NSAC is one of the premier athletic commissions in the nation and the other commissions will probably follow their lead.