Georges St-Pierre saw Anderson Silva’s loss as a wake-up call

Georges St-Pierre saw Anderson Silva’s loss as a wake-up call

UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre and former middleweight king Anderson Silva were compared to each other for years as two of the most dominant competitors to ever showcase their skills in the iconic eight-sided cage. However, Silva’s run of excellence ended earlier this month when newly crowned champion Chris Weidman stopped “The Spider” with strikes at UFC 162. And, unless he’s careful, St-Pierre could follow suit this November when he faces hard-hitting wrestler Johny Hendricks.

St-Pierre recently spoke about the impact Silva’s loss had on his mindset while training for his upcoming title-defense, admitting it gave him a new perspective on where he stands at the moment.

“When I saw that fight, you know, of course Chris Weidman is my friend and training partner, I was cheering for him and I thought he was going to win because the style match-up and he was very well prepared. But it made me realize when I was watching that fight that even the best can lose sometimes,” revealed St-Pierre in an interview with MMAFightCorner. “It made me realize that what I got, I’m the world champion now – it can go away in the blink of an eye. If I don’t pay attention, one punch, one submission, one mistake, and it can change the whole thing. It made me realize that I need to work very hard to maintain what I have. It gave me that motivation.”

“It kind of woke me up a little bit,” he concluded.

GSP (24-2) has come out of eleven straight showdowns with his hand raised including nine fights with gold up for grabs. His bout with Hendricks will serve as the headliner at UFC 167 in Las Vegas.

• AlphaOmega says:

Which means he’s going to be even more cautious then he was

• MCM says:

Yep. That’s exactly how I read it.

But I’m hoping he means that he’s going to go out and try to finish his fights as early as possible so that it diminishes the chance of that one little mistake happening. I can dream at lest.

• AlphaOmega says:

I’m hoping/dreaming the same MCM

• waitetr says:

and all this time I was thinking that the first Matt Serra fight was a wake-up call.

• SBERG says:

Keep in mind the Serra fight was his first title defense. He got sloppy and got caught, it happens. Since then he’s redeemed the loss and rolled off 11 title defenses. At some point you have to wonder if a bit of complacency comes into play and by virtue of what he said about the Anderson fight that might be the case. I find it refreshing that he would come out and talk about it knowing he needs to keep on top of his game to continue further with his legacy.
    If the fights don’t live up to what we want to see ( finishing fights) well honestly that’s too bad, were not fighting them. He’s entitled to win his fights any way he sees fit…I always thought that’s what a champion does.

• SBERG says:

Sorry let me rephrase that..he won the interim belt , then beat Serra and rolled of 8 title defenses.

• SBERG says:

Geezz I’m a freakin typo machine today. I stayed out in the sun too long…can’t see s**t…LOL