Jon Jones tired of talking about Daniel Cormier

Jon Jones tired of talking about Daniel Cormier

UFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones isn’t even in the same division as Daniel Cormier, yet he has been dealing with questions about the unbeaten heavyweight for a year based on Cormier’s desire to drop down to 205 pounds and ability to do so with enough warning. Though both men have their hands full at the moment, fighting Alexander Gustafsson and Roy Nelson respectively, it definitely seems as though the talented athletes are on a collision course.

While that may indeed be true, Jones recently made it clear he’s grown tired of talking about Cormier and doesn’t think the ex-Olympian’s arsenal is all that impressive to begin with.

“I hate answering questions about him. He’s just not relevant to me. There are so many great fighters in the light-heavyweight division,” said Jones at a UFC World Tour stop in Las Vegas in a conversation captured by MMAJunkie. “He’s not even Top 5 in his division…He has, like, 20,000 Twitter followers. He has short reach, bad cardio (and) he looked terrible in his last fight. It’s like, I’m not worried about him at all.”

Not done taking shots at Cormier, Jones concluded, “‘DC’ is a guy who really wants to be famous. I don’t think he wants to work hard. I think he just wants to be famous. You can see it in his physique.”

Jones is scheduled to face Gustafsson on September 21 at UFC 165 with Cormier challenging Nelson a few weeks later at UFC 166. “Bones” is 18-1 with fifteen finishes and wins over a number of former UFC champions, while Cormier holds a career mark of 12-0 including success against Antonio Silva, Josh Barnett, and Frank Mir.

• MickeyC says:

Though I.would not mind seeing this fight at some point, I agree with Bones. Beat Roy, loose enough weight to al least show you can drop. Has DC ever fought below about 240lbs.? I know that as a westler cutting weight is the norm, but his wresling days are far behind. And this isnt cutting. Hes gona have to get his walking weight down 30lbs. Not that he cant do it, very doable, but its going to.take.alot out of him at least the 1st couple times. Who knows roy may put him to.sleep.ant all the.talk is.for not. it all seems premature to me.

• SBERG says:

@MickeyC………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………. Just wanted to add a few more periods for ya, I think you left some out………………………………lol. S-P-E-L-L-C-H-E-C-K is legal in most states, even on cell phones…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

• MickeyC says:

Not that important to me. I can see if someone had dificulty reading in the 1st place that it might bother them.

• SBERG says:

Just messing with ya. I woke up , saw all the dots and thought my eyes were freakin out…No biggie…LOL

• MickeyC says:

No worries. But can.I get a thumbs up on fa comments. I mean I want to see the fight. But we do not need to hear about it every day a year before it could happen. I mean they been talken for months now. Each has a fight scheduled, & DC will need months ahead to loose the weight right. Thats if they both win what they got going now. Roy has played the spoiler B4, starting to hope he will again.

• raker says:

It is a very relevant fight for Jones as he has spoken himself about moving up. It makes sense to test himself against a guy who is more the size of those in his current division who has had success as a heavyweight. He’s almost cleared out the LHW division and the Cornier match up in an intriguing one.

• THEGUNNER says:

Dc needs a win at lhw first. Plus if jones moved to hw hed want to fight cain unlike dc probobly because cain would beat dc anyway.

• MCM says:

Did he really just say that DC doesn’t want to work hard?!? Cormier made it to the Olympics as a wrestler! If that’s not a mark of hard work, I don’t know what is.

• AlphaOmega says:

MCM It’s crazy how many times the Olympian thing gets ignored with a lot of fighters who’ve been there and succeeded