Quinton Jackson-Tito Ortiz booked for Bellator’s first PPV

Quinton Jackson-Tito Ortiz booked for Bellator’s first PPV

Roy Jones Jr. was in the house at Bellator 97, as was Quinton Jackson, but in the end it wasn’t a bout between the two the organization announced. Rather, “Rampage” will take on fellow former UFC champion Tito Ortiz when Bellator gives PPV a go on November 2. Ortiz came down to the cage and faced off with Jackson, promising the public a show worthy of the fighters’ history in the sport.

“I feel like I’ve been re-born. My excitement, energy and aggression, it’s all back and bigger than ever. I feel like a kid again,” said Jackson in an ensuing press release from the promotion. “The ‘Rampage’ you’ll see November 2 will be better than any ‘Rampage’ you’ve ever seen.”

Jackson also assured fans his friendship with Ortiz won’t interfere with his desire to destroy him.

“Everybody knows Tito and I have a very long history. He’s a former teammate and friend, and it’s one of the reasons I stayed away from the UFC as long as I did. But, I want to be very clear; any sort of friendship we once had doesn’t exist when that cage door shuts,” stated the hard-hitting showman. “I’ve got a ton to prove on November 2, and unfortunately for Tito he’s the guy I have to make an example of. He’s in my house now and Saturday, November 2nd on PPV, it’s going to be a horrible night for Tito Ortiz.”

No other bouts were announced for the show, slated to unfold in Long Beach, California.

The 16-11-1 Ortiz is in the midst of a nasty losing streak but does own past wins over Vitor Belfort, Forrest Griffin, and Ryan Bader. The 38-year old announced his retirement last summer but apparently got the itch to compete again after healing up. Meanwhile, “Rampage” is 32-11 with fourteen knockouts to his credit and career highlights against Chuck Liddell, Wanderlei Silva, and Dan Henderson.

• Creature says:

I don’t want to see either of them lose.. mostly because I don’t want to have to listen to the excuses that will surely follow afterwards.

• Richard Stabone says:

I don’t understand it but there’s still plenty of fans that will pay to see this guys fight. It’s a bit of a lame/desperate maneuver but also probably a safe bet as Bellator dips its toes into the PPV waters.

Now if they can get Eddie back and put the rematch with Chandler on this same card, they’ll have something going.

• darth_irritable says:

Well this should pop a buyrate of at least 37. This is not the PPV Alvarez was going to match his UFC offer on.

• SBERG says:

I wont believe this fight happens till they’re in the ring fighting. The risk Tito is taking is stupid. He should not fight anymore with what he’s had done surgery wise. I don’t care who on here just wants to see him get beat up. If he gets twisted the wrong way, tweaked or anything else strenuous on his neck and back he’s facing lifetime disability. Just freaking stupid.

• AlphaOmega says:

Battle of the washed up injured!! Step right up Step Right up to see the greatest battle of who will whine and complain first about why this fight isn’t fair and why they lost. Who will it be?

• raker says:

5 years ago this would have been epic. Tito hasn’t shown me that he can hang with the big boys anymore. It’s a business though and everyone deserves to make a living.

• MCM says:

damn right everyone deserves to make a living. These guys just won’t be doing it off my dollar. I’ll catch this thing on SPIKE the week after.

• SBERG says:

If it’s about making a living , and yes everyone is entitled to do so as they please, then bury the hatchet with UFC brass already and take a office job doing something productive that doesn’t involve getting your neck snapped. I mean geezzz Tito is a legend in this sport (yes he’s a dick, I know) , at this point he should have alot more options on his plate than what he’s serving himself. His ego is going to do him more harm than good. Man up , walk into UFC headquarters , sit with Dana and whoever else and make your peace.
    Look I just don’t want to ever see anyone get seriously hurt and the game of russian roulette Tito is playing with himself is just not funny at all. I’m sure he’s got problems, everyone does, but getting in the ring is the wrong answer in this case….seriously just a bad move.

• THEGUNNER says:

Titos gonna take him down and will cry if he wins or loses. If he dont care about getting hurt why should I? Way to look as desperate as it gets bellitor. Some how aldo vs zombie which is the worst the ufc can do for a ppv event is better than this.