Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney reveals more PPV plans

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney reveals more PPV plans

Bellator caught the attention of the MMA world last week when the organization announced its intent to put on a November 2 PPV headlined by light heavyweight Quinton Jackson fighting fellow former UFC champion Tito Ortiz. However, outside of the main event match-up the details were few and far between.

CEO Bjorn Rebney cleared up a bit of the murkiness this week during a conference call with media where he offered up some additional information on the card.

According to the excited executive, Jackson-Ortiz will be a three-round fight but the lineup is still likely to feature at least one five-frame affair, as lightweight champion Michael Chandler will defend his title at the show against a yet-to-be named opponent. The possibility of another “special fight” was also teased.

Additionally, Spike TV will air the evening’s preliminary bouts during a live lead-in to the main card. The PPV is also expected to be priced between $35-$45.

• MickeyC says:

Gotta get Alverez.

• MCM says:

I don’t think they can. I’m not a lawyer but if Alvarez contract is supposed to be a “matching” contract than he’s supposed to get a percent of the PPV cuts as the UFC promised. With the PPV being roughly %75 the cost of what a UFC PPV charges and the numbers will be far less than even a week UFC PPV, I think Eddies lawyers can argue that Bellator did NOT match the UFC’s offer.

I think they bring in someone like Aoki for Chandler or try to get Cyborg in for a WMMA match.

• AlphaOmega says:

Plus unless Alvarez wants to drop the whole case, he’s still tied up in court and I don’t think he can fight without screwing that up

• SBERG says:

That would be funny if they bring in Aoki and he subs Chandler in like 2 minutes….Now you have a champ who isn’t even part of your org fulltime….It will end up being like Overeem in Strikeforce, One title defense every 2 years…lol

• THEGUNNER says:

With the ufc leading the way other orgs still cant even come close which sucks for fighters not ready for the biggest stage just yet. Whats next kieth jardine gets the winner of tito a waympage?

• AlphaOmega says:

That wouldn’t surprise me, what is going on with Jardine though? Did he retire?

• MickeyC says:

Im no lawyer either, but I dont see why eddie could not make this work in his favor. Theres nothin sayin he has to take the ufc deal. Step to belator and agree to drop lawsuit. In exchange agree to a three fight deal with large bonuses and NO match clause when it is over.With the fight in Nov he would have 2 left. He could be free to do whatever in about a year from now. I know it would be shitty for him to have to do this. But I do not see him fighting or makin ANY money in the next year other wise.

• MCM says:

I agree with that MickeyC, and said something similar on another thread, but the problem is that Bellatore doesn’t need to give into Eddies terms. They can say this is the deal, take it or leave it, but you can’t go anywhere else otherwise. That’s why they’re in court now.

What happens if Alvarez beats Chandler? Or what happens if he has to go through the tourney and comes out the winner? That’s his three fights right there. How does Bellator gain anything from giving Eddie a platform to get even bigger without any way to hold onto him afterwards?

• SBERG says:

If all this is dependant on the workings of a PPV then they really have to hit a home run in making sure the money is anywhere near comparable to what UFC is offering….If they can’t do that then according to the “match” clause he’s free to go. I know I made a joke of PPV sales in the captions but in reality if it bombs then what?
    Now if they decide to settle on something of a new contract what will the wording be like? Will it be a “fight” deal or a ” card” deal? MCM makes a good point about the tourney format so again will it now come down to fufilling a certain amount of cards?
    Any way you slice this It’s gonna be a ugly process.

• MickeyC says:

True dat. Poor bastard.

• Richard Stabone says:

This is what was (reportedly) in the UFC’s contract offer to Eddie Alvarez, which Bellator offered to match:

A tiered share of pay-per-view revenue, starting at “$1 for each ‘buy’ between 200,000 and 400,000 buys, $2 per buy between 400,000 and 600,000 buys, and $2.50 per buy over 600,000 buys.”

Doesn’t matter if Bellator charges $30 for PPV compared to $60 for a typical UFC PPV event. In fact, the lower Bellator’s PPV price tag is, the higher it should drive their PPV buys, which is where Eddie would get paid.

The match clause is something the UFC also includes when it signs a fighter. It seems as if people think Bellator is doing something shady or unfair, when that’s simply not the case. Bellator made a significant investment in Eddie Alvarez (when he was coming off a loss to Aoki) long before the UFC jumped into the picture. And so now they’ve exercised their right to protect their investment. Hell, Dana White said it himself recently: “He should fight for Bellator … they have every right – he signed a contract, and they have every right to him.”

• SBERG says:

What you say makes perfect sense Richard and I’m sure your pretty accurate in the numbers. I still say if the PPV tanks bad then what? I mean should Bellator be able to squeak out 200,000 buys? I hope so at this point for the time they’ve been around but if not then what?

• Richard Stabone says:

Well, when it comes to match clause, all that matters is what’s in the guaranteed terms. The number of PPV buys is irrelevant.

Another example… What if Eddie signed with the UFC, got a title shot right off the bat, and lost? Sure, he’d get a chunk of PPV $$ for headlining that card, but his next time out against somebody like Donald Cerrone or Jim Miller, is the UFC still guaranteeing Eddie a PPV cut? I really doubt it.

Point being, a lot of this stuff is squishy and a judge isn’t going to base a legal decision on anything other than the guaranteed terms of a contract.

• SBERG says:

Then we just have to wait to see if it even gets to a judge and what comes out publicly as far as the actual terms of the deal. I for one am curious to know what exactly UFC offered. I’m not against Bellator protecting an investment made in Eddie but more of how the process is making Bellator look bad. Potential fighters watching this play out might start having reservations as to whether they want to sign with Bellator in the future…..might.

• MCM says:

The shady and unfair part is that changed up their entire business model simply to “match” the UFC’s offer. example: Dana didn’t want Tito to go somewhere else so he sat on him for the entire no compete clause. Then when it was over, he had to let him go. Bjorn didn’t just sit it out with Eddie but has tried to force him to stay.
    Up until Eddies contract was up, Bjorn consistently said that the Alvarez would have to go through the tournament to get a rematch with Chandler, cause that’s how Bellator crowns it’s champions. Now he’s saying he gets an instant title fight.
    Up until Eddies Contract was up, Bjorn dismissed the idea of doing PPV and even went so far as to say it was a poor business model and not something Bellator was interested in doing. Now he’s putting them on with UFC wash outs.
    Up until Eddies Contract was up, Bjorn insisted that they were not trying to compete with the UFC. Now he’s saying he want’s Bellator to be bigger than the UFC.

Yes Bellator, the UFC, and probably OneFC and a few others have matching clauses, no compete clauses, and champions clauses and they should, it’s their right. But what Bellator is doing by promising something they don’t offer (PPV’s at the time of the match), changing their business model (instant title fight), and suing their fighter to prevent them from moving forward in their career IS shady and unfair.

• SBERG says:

All the more reason why I mention potential fighters are going to be leary about signing with Bellator….Bjorn is playing a dangerous game right now…He needs to be careful.
    Thnx for the good info MCM and Richard….
    On a side note, Do you think at some point Dana and UFC brass just say F**k it and try to buy out Bellator altogether?

• MCM says:

No I don’t SGERG. I think Bellator is going to be too expensive and Viacom won’t play ball. I think the UFC is hoping they go out like EXC did (on their own) and then they might pick up some of the pieces. Personally I hope that doesn’t happen. Bellator has/had a good thing going and was making all the right moves (Not signing a ton of UFC cast offs, building up their own stars and finding new talent, not blowing money on weak PPVs), but now they seem to be doing what every other “#2″ org in the U.S. has done and gotten too big too fast on weak product.

That’s why I’m so pissed about this whole Alvarez fiasco. I like the tournament format. I like FightMaster. I like seeing all these new Russian guys with names I can’t pronounce putting on bad ass fights. I Don’t like that Bellator now has to try to put on shitty PPVs. I Don’t like that title shots are going to be “given” instead of “earned”. I Don’t like all the bad blood Bellator is giving itself over one freaking fighter when they should be focusing on their brand and becoming a real powerhouse and viable alternative in the MMA world.

• SBERG says:

I agree…just thought I’d throw it out there.
    And a major LOL to ” I like seeing all these new Russian guys with names I can’t pronounce putting on bad ass fights.”
    One of my favs is Frodo…Please don’t ask me to say his name…lol

• Richard Stabone says:

@MCM – Everything you’re describing comes down to Bellator either allowing itself to be a feeder system for the UFC, or rolling with the punches. If you were consulting Bjorn on the matter of Eddie Alvarez, what would have been your advice?

• MCM says:

Let him sit on the sidelines while he waits out his no compete clause, let him sign to the UFC and win the UFC LW title, then brag to the world how Bellator champ Michael Chandler beat the UFC’s champ out of our org. Then use that momentum to continue building my brand so that Bellator isn’t a feeder org, but an equal org. And KEEP the business model that has made us so successful thus far.

Eddie isn’t Lombard. He’s a serious legit top 5 talent that has not been feed cans most of his career. He won’t crash and burn the way Lombard did and make Bellator look second rate.

• MCM says:

I think Bellator can survive the loss of Eddie Alvarez and continue to grow. I just wish Bjorn thought so too.

• SBERG says:

I have no argument on any point made…..I agree fully… Only downside is Eddie is losing tons on time right now….In the end the fight better be worth it…Ya can’t get prime years back..ever.

• Richard Stabone says:

I also think Bellator can survive the (potential) loss of Alvarez, but I don’t agree they should just lay down for the UFC to scoop him up.

In a perfect world they’d be able to keep Eddie and not make any trade-offs, but that’s clearly not the reality of this situation. The UFC has dealt with plenty of sticky situations of their own, seemingly cutting corners at time & compromising the product, but making those trade-offs is all part of the business game.

In the end I still think Eddie ends up with Bellator and goes on to greater success for both himself & Bellator. If other fighters are scared off that the #2 MMA org is getting a little too big for its britches and they might have a tough time using Bellator as a stepping stone, they can pursue other paths but in today’s MMA landscape those are still few & far between. In other words, I don’t think that’s as big a risk as some have suggested.

• Richard Stabone says:

And yeah, SBERG, one thing we can all agree on is that it’s a bummer Eddie is burning thru a pretty big chunk of the peak of his career as a professional athlete. Hopefully this thing gets resolved soon, and doesn’t get dragged thru the courts.