Alistair Overeem prepared for “dangerous” Travis Browne

Alistair Overeem prepared for “dangerous” Travis Browne

UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem has fought nearly 50 times in his career as a Mixed Martial Artist and can lay claim to another fourteen kickboxing bouts. Over his nearly 15-year run as a fighter, “The Demolition Man” has more or less seen it all including headlining bouts in front of sold out arenas and showdowns with some of the sports’ elite. However, despite his experience at the top, the devastating Dutchman definitely won’t be making the mistake of looking past Travis Browne at UFC Fight Night 26 just because “Hapa” doesn’t share his status as one of the division’s biggest stars.

“Travis is a good fighter who has a pretty all-round game so he will be dangerous. I’m not going to underestimate him,” confirmed Overeem in an interview with Bleacher Report.

Browne is 14-1-1 with his only loss coming after he’d suffered a serious leg injury in a bout. All but two of his wins have featured a finish, giving Overeem’s words substance in terms of the threat Browne poses.

Though Overeem doesn’t necessarily expect a crack at the championship by beating Browne on August 17, he knows it’s a major step in the right direction.

“I believe that both Browne and myself are top ranked fighters and the winner of this fight will be one step closer in getting a title-shot, so in that sense I know this fight can put me right on track,” said Overeem. “I still have one goal in life and that’s becoming the UFC heavyweight champion.”

Overeem saw an eleven-fight winning streak snapped in February courtesy of Antonio Silva. He holds an overall record of 36-12 including 15 knockouts and 19 submissions.

• SBERG says:

I hope Travis knocks his block off….

• fanoftna33 says:

Brown weathers the first round storm and gets a ko here, I dont think Overeems chin can handle most UFC heavyweights.

• MCM says:

Sounds like he learned his lesson about bad mouthing opponents in the UFC. I think Overeem can win this, especially if he focuses on leg kicks, but I’m expecting a throw down either way.

• THEGUNNER says:

I expect overeem to be cautious like when he faught brock. Browns athletic for how huge he is and hopfully he can ko reem with one of his fancy kicks.

• hindsightufuk says:

i’m interested in this fight because i havent bought into the Travis Browne hype yet. Can’t fault his record but just havent been overly impressed by his skills.

Looking forward to being proved wrong on this one

• Richard Stabone says:

Struve is by far the best win of Browne’s career thus far, so Reem is a pretty big step up in competition and I don’t see him getting by that big sumbitch. But either way, winner should face Werdum for the next title shot.