Chael Sonnen cleared to compete at UFC Fight Night 26

Chael Sonnen cleared to compete at UFC Fight Night 26

What looked like a potential mountain on the horizon quickly became a molehill, as UFC light heavyweight Chael Sonnen’s status for an August 17 match-up with Mauricio Rua is no longer up in the air. As hoped, the outspoken scrapper has been licensed for the UFC Fight Night 26 tilt and will see action at the event.

Sonnen’s trouble began when news surfaced regarding Massachusetts’ policy regarding Testosterone Replacement Therapy (or lack thereof). As a result, the State Athletic Commission met this week to review the matter and came to the unanimous conclusion to approve Sonnen for the fight.

“The decision followed the recommendation of their Medical Advisory Board which considered Sonnen’s physical condition and medical information. The Commission also considered complaints regarding his reputation and character but concluded no information the Commission received should preclude Sonnen’s licensure,” wrote an official in an email sent to MMAFighting.

The match-up with Rua will serve as the evening’s headliner. Sonnen is 27-13-1 with career highlights against Nate Marquardt, Yushin Okami, and Brian Stann, while “Shogun” has compiled a 21-7 mark during his own run in the ring including eighteen knockouts. Fans can catch the clash on FOX Sports 1.

• SBERG says:

Game on!!!!

• darth_irritable says:

Am I the only one who sees irony in the Vegas Culinary Union calling Sonnen’s character into question?

I think Sonnen has a good shot at this one.

• THEGUNNER says:

rua better be on point with his bjj. I bet sonnens on point with his wrestling.

• moosebaby02 says:

I thought I would be the only one who was thinking Sonn will take this one

• moosebaby02 says:

Sonnen

• MCM says:

Nope, moosebaby. I see this as a pretty easy win for Chael.

• SBERG says:

Yea moosebaby this was talked about a few weeks ago…I see Chael taking this too…But who knows, I thought Machida would beat Rua and we see how those two went…

• Richard Stabone says:

You guys have a lot of confidence in a guy who’s never won a fight at LHW in the UFC. Maybe the 4th time will be the charm.

As individual fighters I think Shogun is the more skilled fighter and he’s obviously got a far superior track record at LHW. But he doesn’t seem to be aging well at all, and maybe he’s already eyeing retirement. If he loses this fight would anyone be shocked if he hangs up the gloves? So it’s tough to have a ton of confidence in him from here on out.

Meanwhile, Chael seems to have a renewed vigor now that Anderson is longer holding the MW belt captive (for the time being, anyway). A win against Shogun, followed by a matchup with another big name but mostly washed-up fighter (Wanderlei) would have Chael & the fans all riled up again. So he’s got plenty of motivation in this one, and he’s gotta realize that running his losing streak to 3 would be a serious blow towards any further title aspirations.

So this is a tricky one to call, but cutting thru the bullshit I still have to pick Shogun for the simple fact I think he’s the better fighter.

• THEGUNNER says:

I going with rua by ko or sub.

• darth_irritable says:

Rua was the better fighter, but I see nothing to convince me he still is.

Get him on TRT, and let’s revisit the discussion, but as it stands, I think Sonnen has a good shot here.

• hindsightufuk says:

i hate to say it but i see Chael getting the win here too