UFC Fight Night 26 Conference Call Highlights

UFC Fight Night 26 Conference Call Highlights

A new era of UFC programming is set to be ushered in this weekend when the organization helps kick off FOX Sports 1 this Saturday night. Highlighting the official unveiling is, of course, the star-studded lineup for UFC Fight Night 26 topped by a light heavyweight match-up between Chael Sonnen and Mauricio Rua.

Before stepping foot in the Octagon, Sonnen squared off against “Shogun” on a conference call with media earlier this afternoon. Heavyweight opponents Alistair Overeem and Travis Browne also participated in the fun as did UFC President Dana White.

Read below for a rundown of the call:

Chael Sonnen:

– Confused, not upset, about culinary union trying to keep him off the card
– Moving back to 185 pounds based on his interest in fighting Vitor Belfort and Wanderlei Silva, no other reason
– “I will be going straight ahead and he will be too. Not only is that how we fight, we both have our skills and we’re gonna bring our skills. But in addition, we’re the main event and you can’t play around when you’re in the main event.”
– “I won’t ever pick on a guy weaker or smaller than me, though in the case of Wanderlei Silva I have.”
– “All fights are ‘must win’.”
– Still hungry for another crack at Anderson Silva
– First time he’s ever trained with a different camp in the UFC
– Loves his job as a broadcaster and even turned down a raise because he doesn’t believe he’s actually having to work
– Will consider retiring after he has achieved his goals including fights with Belfort/Wanderlei
– “I will be one of those guys who has to be pulled out of this sport…”

Mauricio Rua:

– Says brother “Ninja” Rua is doing fine and has just purchased a gas station
– Sonnen’s relatively polite behavior during the build towards the bout hasn’t deterred him from wanting to win as convincingly as possible

Alistair Overeem:

– Isn’t thinking about a future title-shot / “For me it’s just important to get that win.”
– Wasn’t depressed after loss to Antonio Silva but took some time off to get his focus back

Travis Browne:

– “It’s a great honor to be a part of this card.”
– Doesn’t think Overeem’s experience will play a major role in the match-up

Dana White:

– Not worried about the ongoing negotiations between FOX Sports 1 and Direct TV because the situation is out of his control
– Says culinary union’s approach to combatting the UFC is “transparent” and “ridiculous”
– “Alistair Overeem is not on the call yet. We’re still looking for him.”
– Calls Boston a great place to hang out and eat with friends but not a great place to put on fights due to regulatory issues
– Sees Matt Brown getting a Top 5 opponent if he beats Mike Pyle

• MickeyC says:

Any Direct TV users out there? Anybody know what channel Fox1 will be? I thought it was replacing Fuel channel618. But my guide does not have the fight night airing until sunday afternoon on Fuel.

• MickeyC says:

10 to 1 says if chael wins he calls out vitor at 185. Hes gona say that hes scared to take a fight. Say that Vitor asked Rashad to challange Chael, because he was scared to do it himself. We will see sonnen at his finest. All that said Im riden with the Gangster tonight!

• MickeyC says:

Excuse me, Sat night.

• THEGUNNER says:

I dont have direct tv but im having the same problem with time warner cable. Theres no listing of the fight on the guide but the spanish channel has it listed. Anyone no what channel to watch on twc.

• SBERG says:

I’m on Atlantic Broadband in North miami beach and we’re not getting the channel at all. Just got off the phone with the cable company and they said ” No we’re not adding FS1 at this time”. I put in a request to have it added as I’m sure alot more will.
    I’m hoping that at some point between now and Saturday that someone at the cable company wakes up and approves adding of the channel.

• fanoftna33 says:

Mickey C I belive it will be the old speed channel, not replacing fuel. I have direct but unsure of the acual #.

• THEGUNNER says:

If it goes to the judges ill give it to chael but if its a sub or ko ill give it to rua. I dont sonnen finishing rua. 2nd place it is again for chaels whered my $ s at.

• darth_irritable says:

Direct doesn’t have it. Neither does Time Warner apparently. I’m on UVerse, So I’m all over this bitch!

• THEGUNNER says:

I see it on the spanish sports channel on twc thats about it.

• darth_irritable says:

DVR set. I’ll get to watch Shogun get taken down at will now Freddie Roach has taught him how to position his feet so he doesn’t “hit like a girl” any more.

• MickeyC says:

I called direct tv. They said they will have it and it will be channel 607 which is now speedd. I was worried.

• AlphaOmega says:

UFC tweeted today saying that Fox Sports 1 should be broadcast across all providers now

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

yes-although i am in the infamous city of no pity nitti gritty san fran mother effin cisco-my comcast guide still shows stupid shows for saturday on our speed channel-yet deportes has all the UFC programming listed already-go figure

• SBERG says:

Just was on The UFC site and used the Fox Sports1 channel finder and it says Fox Sports 1 not available on Atlantic Broadband….I’m in Sunny Isles Beach Fl. It is however going to be on Fox Deportes…..Been in Fl for 30 yrs and still can’t speak spanish…lol