Jon Jones would like to follow in Dwayne Johnson’s footsteps

Jon Jones would like to follow in Dwayne Johnson’s footsteps

UFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones is only 26 but even he knows his time at the top of the sport is limited. In reality, the human body can only take so much abuse before it weakens, resulting in very few Mixed Martial Artists competing at a high level after the age of 35. As such, Jones has already started looking at life beyond the Octagon and got a glimpse of what could be during a recent visit to Hollywood.

Jones spoke about the experience with Rick J. Lee where he made it clear his interest had been piqued.

“With the right training and things I could possibly be in some movies in the future,” said Jones. “Right now I’m doing pretty good in my field which is the martial arts world, and to branch out and get my feet wet there, maybe prepare myself for a career after this career…I think it’s all going according to plan.”

When asked if he envisioned himself as an action star based on his chosen profession, Jones admitted the chances were high of him at least being type-cast as such. However, he went on to mention the path Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson had taken from WWE Superstar to one of the box office’s biggest draws.

“I would like to model my acting career after Dwayne Johnson, the way he just came out of WWE and started off with tough guy roles and then moved over to doing The Tooth Fairy,” admitted Johnson. “That’s when you really saw he could act. He’s someone I admire and respect a lot.”

For now, Jones will focus on defending his title for a sixth straight time. His next match-up is scheduled to take place at UFC 165 with streaking Swede Alexander Gustafsson serving as his adversary.

• Dufresne says:

He thought The Rock could act in ” The Tooth Fairy”??? Really?

• SBERG says:

The tooth fairy starred Duane Johnson? ……..Ummmm No….

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Sorry, it’s Dwayne Johnson. Shows my wrasslin expertise. Fixed.

• hindsightufuk says:

the Rock has charisma, and personality. Jon Jones has hung around Greg Jackson too long and dances like someones uncle at a disco

the only decent MMA fighter in a movie was Bob Sapp in Longest Yard

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Jones definitely doesn’t have the Rock’s personality/charisma, plus almost every straight woman I know LOVES Dwayne Johnson and I’m willing to bet Jones doesn’t have that same sort of sex appeal.

But I definitely can’t fault him for wanting to pursue other avenues outside of MMA. Hell, if Stephan Bonnar and Michael Bisping can land cheesy movie roles, no reason Jones can’t as well.

• SBERG says:

I could see Jones in something like Pitch Black or something like that. Not every role requires a actor have the personality of Dwayne. Plus with proper editing you make anyone look like something more than what they are. Look at Paul Walker, they made him look like he knows what he’s doing, right? Good move for Jones if he decides to do it. He’s only 26….He has plenty of time to develop as a actor if he chooses too and is dedicated to it..

• MCM says:

Bisping and Bonnar have charm and charisma, Jones doesn’t.

Paul Walker is a lifeless turd, but at least he’s damn good looking. That’s why Gina is gonna keep getting roles too. Jones is not unattractive, but he’s nothing to write home about either.

No way in hell Jones could pull off a role like Riddick in Pitch Black. Unless you weren’t talking about the Riddick character but something along the lines of Bounty Hunter #3 that’s get’s killed with in the first 4 minutes.

And Oleg Taktarov is the best MMA fighter turned Actor. I feel like we’ve had this conversation.

Now to make all of my points null and void………Tara Reid.

• hindsightufuk says:

sorry yes Oleg hands down best ever, but Bob Sapp is Bob Sapp

and Tara Reid, what a cunt

• SBERG says:

LMAO @ MCM….
    That was a funny read…….and I agree about Oleg. Let’s not forget about Trevor Prangley though , He’s done some stuff. Not Oscar material but it was ok. And how did you manage to squeeze Tara Reid in this? LOL…..Isn’t she doing SYFY channel flicks now with Lorenzo Lamas?

• SBERG says:

And I forgot about Cung Le….He’s building up a bit of a resume for himself…….Man With The Iron Fists was pretty good. It wasn’t on par with Kung Fu Hustle but it was still good.

• fanoftna33 says:

Oleg has been in some big movies and do not forget he acually boxed Ivan Drago and lived to tell about it.

• MCM says:

Tara Reid is a photogenic moron with the acting chops of a bag of hair and the abrasively annoying personality of a hang nail. Which means she’s basically Jon Jones. so if she can make a living in Hollywood, I guess Bones could too.