Urijah Faber looking to score super-fights

Urijah Faber looking to score super-fights

UFC bantamweight Urijah Faber knows exactly how tough UFC Fight Night 26 foe Iuri Alcantara is. However, he’s not sure the average fan is as aware of the Brazilian’s bevy of abilities or success in the ring and therein lies the problem. Faber has been very vocal about his belief his bout with Alcantara is a losing proposition even if he wins based on his opponent’s lack of name value. Now it appears he’s prepared to speak up even more in the future as long as it means avoiding similar situations.

“I’m going to talk to Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta and see if we can set up some super-fights. Maybe even go up to 145 (pounds) to do some stuff,” said Faber at this week’s open workouts in a conversation captured by MMAJunkie. “I feel like I need to be in some fights that really matter. Not that this one doesn’t – this guy’s very tough – but that people care about.”

“It’s all about looking back at my career and saying I fought the best guys. I’m not necessarily going to 145 – I’m just saying I want some big fights, and I’m going to see whatever I have to do to get them,” he concluded.

Faber didn’t go into detail as far as potential opponents but his desire to duke it out in high-profile pairings is clear.

As longtime MMA enthusiasts no doubt remember, “The California Kid” held WEC gold at 145 pounds and holds a handful of impressive wins in the division. He owns an overall record of 28-6 including seven knockouts and sixteen submissions.

• MickeyC says:

HaHa LoL!

• SBERG says:

Let him win a world title and then we can talk superfights…..No world title means nothing you do is super…it’s just another fight…

• gregdufresne says:

I don’t know if I’d say THAT SBERG. If I count up my favorite 10 fights of all time I think maybe two are actual title fights. Would you say the majority of the fights that have left a lasting impact on you were for a title?

• SBERG says:

I’m not saying they were for a title but they usually involve a champ or former champ? Him being former wec champ doesn’t impress me that much….If he wins UFC gold then we can talk about it but until then he’s just a dude with a name that sells for the time being…I don’t see him beating any current champs at any weight class he decides to fight at.

• SBERG says:

Typo with the question mark. Was supposed to be a period. lol

• MCM says:

SUPER fights involve titles. MONEY fights involve stars. I think Faber is looking for Money fights.

and is that you Duf?

• AlphaOmega says:

Super fight sounds better though MCM, doesn’t sound as greedy as I want me and my opponent to get a big ass check for fighting each other.