UFC Fight Night 26 MAIN EVENT: Sonnen vs. Shogun Live Full Fight Results

UFC Fight Night 26 MAIN EVENT: Sonnen vs. Shogun Live Full Fight Results

Sonnen vs. Rua

Round One: Sonnen charges Shogun and gets him down briefly before Rua stands back up and against the cage. Shogun surprisingly gets a takedown and Sonnen goes for a guillotine but uses it to roll Shogun. They’re back up to their feet and Sonnen takes Rua back down to land some ground-and-pound. The shots from top by Sonnen aren’t really causing any significant damage. But they are still breaking Rua down little by little. Rua has had enough and again goes to make his way to his feet when Sonnen locks ahold of a standing guillotine and drops down. IT’S LOCKED! Shogun tries to push down on Sonnen’s shoulder to relief the stress. But it’s too late now, he taps! Sonnen just submitted Shogun with a guillotine choke. NO JOKE!

Result- Chael Sonnen by guillotine choke @ 4:47 of round one

There was also some crackin’ facebook prelim action right here; and some bouts on FS1 that had some thrilling turnouts, here.

• SBERG says:

“6’0 205lbs, Until I met you boy I didn’t know they could stack crap that high” ……That was awesome….

• moosebaby02 says:

Greatest night of free fights ever

• darth_irritable says:

I love Sonnen!

• raker says:

Surprising result but kudos to Sonnen for a great fight. He’s a great promoter. He’s in for the fight of his life with Wand though… Can’t wait!!

• SBERG says:

No … he isn’t. Unless Wand clocks him right off the bat he’s going to end up like Shogun…sorry, just not sold on Wandy anymore…

• Screenplaya says:

Matt Brown was fantastic again, and probably should be in line for a title shot.

Uriah Hall needs to learn how to get his head right so he can actually start delivering on his talent. He might need a sports psychologist. I am fairly sure Hall has some issue that he probably work through, whether he continues as a fighter or not.

Uriah Faber needs to fight like this all the time. Ground and pound to perfection. Got out of trouble, put himself in good positions, well done. I wanna see Faber take down Cruz and land some elbows.

Rua obviously needs to change things up. He doesn’t get in shape like the best fighters of today, and he doesn’t cut weight. If Rua starts taking his cardio and weight more seriously, he can be a stud at 185. It is time that he got with the times.

Sonnen put it all together tonight. Dominated, finished, did damage from the top, and then sold it on the mic, too. THIS Chael Sonnen is someone I can get behind.

Mike McDonald gained in a fan in me tonight, too. He came from someplace back in her long ago….. :)

• AlphaOmega says:

I was surprised this went how it went, but good for Chael. My friend and I both got our wishes, I got to see Overeem KOed and he got to see Chael win.

Shogun is so hit and miss anymore, even when he wins it doesn’t seem like old Shogun

• raker says:

Sure he is SBERG. Wandy is always tough and Chael doesn’t have the KO power. Gonna be a war

• raker says:

Nobody is more of a pure fighter than Wand.

• AlphaOmega says:

Wanderlei is another guy that’s hit and miss, if Chael can’t keep him down then I think he loses that fight

• SBERG says:

Sorry raker but 2002 was a long time ago…Wand is just a name now…

• raker says:

Wand still has fight in him. He’s a dog.. An old dog but he’ll still gonna bring it hard to Chael.

• raker says:

I’d still put my money on Chael but its certainly going to be a tough fight. Even if Wand is on his back you know he’s going to be chucking elbows from the bottom. That’s what I mean. Chael has a guy who is already a pure fighter in every sense if the word pissed off … It’s gonna be a dog fight.

• SBERG says:

Im not gonna tell you to feel any different than you do but I just don’t see Wand presenting much of a challenge at this point of his career. He’s a novelty now. Yes he can still bang but what else? Chael is gonna double leg him just like Rua and ground him out. I really don’t see the fight being close unless of course Wand hits a home run early….Again I don’t see it..

• AlphaOmega says:

Machida said since Belfort refused to fight him, that maybe Dana will put him vs Chael together

• raker says:

I guess we’ll have to wait and see

• Screenplaya says:

I would like to see Wanderlei and Chael throwdown. Surely, Chael will take him down, but I think Wandy will be hard to keep down, and he will def be throwing elbows from the bottom, as raker already stated. Both guys are pros and show up in impeccable condition, so I think it could be an epic war.

Dear UFC, make this a headliner on an FS1 show. 5 rounds of this could be spectacular.

What he said..^ ..:)

• SBERG says:

3 rounds…ok I’m good with that. Not sure I want Wandy fighting a guy like Sonnen over 5 rounds…..For your guys sake I hope Wandy does find some of the magic from days past but asking for 5 rounds the way he fights is a bit much…

• raker says:

Sonnen just whipped a guy who has really had mixed results in the UFC including some terrible performances against Coleman and Forrest. You’re making Sonnen, who just won his first ever fight at LHW, seem like a giant killer. Wandy will be fine over 5 rounds.

• SBERG says:

Wandy is 8-9 over his past 17 fights and 4-5 since returning to UFC……You have no legs to stand on in this discussion raker…

• SBERG says:

Sonnen is 6-4 since his return with his losses coming to Two world champions( Title fights ) Anderson twice and Jones.Whether he deserved the shot against Jones or not is another discussion but the point being is he fought him. The other loss being to Demian Maia……Wandy hasn’t even sniffed a title shot.

• raker says:

Wand has always fought the top guys and he hasn’t won each time. He’s durable though. Sonnen lost to a current WW contender, and has a win against another current WW. They’re both tough guys and Wandy is a former champ in Pride and always comes to fight. I do have a leg to stand on and all that I’m saying is that Sonnen is likely to find himself in one if, if not his toughest fight to date. I don’t see why that is so hard to understand. It’s my opinion and we’ll see how it ends up. I’m still leaning towards Sonnen but it’ll be a helluva fight. I’m not talking a good MMA match. This ones gonna be a fight.

• raker says:

And we all know that Sonnen got the shot at Jones because of the Hendo injury debacle, no one else stepping up and his ability in front of the camera for TUF.

Heres my leg that im standing on…

25 Most Aggressive Fighters in MMA History
    1. Wanderlei Silva

When you think of the prototypical fighter in look, skill and attitude, you need not look further than “The Axe Murderer” Wanderlei Silva. It started with the way he smiled at you in the stare downs with those scary eye balls, and then into his bundle of aggression as he enters the ring or cage to beat you up.

Silva’s whole self and persona just oozed danger and aggression in his Pride days and beyond, and even today, he holds that scowl, stare and skill to back up what he dishes out.

He has 23 knockouts in his 33 wins and has beaten up on such notables as Quinton Jackson, Sakuraba and Dan Henderson. He also has his war with Chuck Liddell to show us all how it is done when the cage door opens, and he takes number one on this list.

• SBERG says:

Your basing all your logic on stuff from 10+ yrs ago….He’s 37 now. He’s not the guy he was then. Ok your a fan , you like him . He’s a past legend, I gotcha. But he’s not that guy anymore. And as far as your article that you posted…why didn’t you mention who #2 on the list was?……..BECAUSE IT WAS RUA!!!!!!!!!!…. So how did that turn out?……..Dude you just firebombed your own argument with a article YOU posted. Game…Set…Match..

• raker says:

There’s a reason why Rua listed at 2…. Because nobody is more aggressive than Wanderlei. We disagree and that’s ok…. I guess we’ll have to see what happens when Wand drags his decrepit old bones into the octagon. .

• raker says:

By the way…. Sonnen is 36. There’s less than a year between them and both have fought over 40 times.

• SBERG says:

We’re done raker….your grasping for anything. Firebombing your argument above with the article you posted just killed everything. The only thing you said I agree with is that we disagree…. Again..we’re done.

• raker says:

Thank god your obsession with my opinion is over