UFC Working On Rory MacDonald-Robbie Lawler Welterweight Scrap

UFC Working On Rory MacDonald-Robbie Lawler Welterweight Scrap

While nothing has been set in stone, or a date even mentioned, UFC president Dana White confirmed plans are in place to pair Rory MacDonald with Robbie Lawler.

Both fighters picked up wins last month, as MacDonald topped Jake Ellenberger and Lawler downed Bobby Voelker.

White, during his post-fight media scrum, mentioned they are looking at putting the two contenders together, and the match could create a new No. 1 contender in the division.

Of course, MacDonald has constantly stated he will not fight UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, so there is that issue – unless Johny Hendricks downs GSP in November.

MacDonald (15-1) is a training partner and close friend of St-Pierre’s. His only career loss to date was to Carlos Condit.

Lawler, meanwhile, has won two straight since returning to the UFC. He is 21-9 in his career and seems to be revitalized after a move back to welterweight.

• SBERG says:

If Robbie pulls this off that would be awesome.

• raker says:

The only thing that I don’t like about this match up is that someone has to lose. If Rory wins and refuses to fight GSP or moves to MW, we could end up without a true number one contender with many of the other guys coming off losses. It’s speculating a little but might open things up for Maia provided he gets by Shields. If Lawler wins though he’ll fight and the rest if the division will settle into place.

• hindsightufuk says:

good for Robbie, would make my year if he won this

• SBERG says:

God I hate thinking too much on something but I just get a weird feeling this is gonna be a bad night for Robbie. I don’t think he’ll get beat up persay but I think Rory is gonna do much of what he did to Jake. Just stand back and jab away, win on points and avoid major contact. Prove me wrong Robbie and send his head off to the third row!!!!!

• MickeyC says:

I have robbie winning this fight.

• moosebaby02 says:

No love for Rory???? Well I will give him some. Plus I really don’t think Robbie has enough besides landing one of those vicious hooks of his. Other then that Rory has this one. Go Canada go

• Richard Stabone says:

Everybody’s gotta love a fighter like Robbie, but his aggression will be his undoing in this one. Rory’s all around skill set is just at a higher level. But I do like the matchup.

• THEGUNNER says:

Rorys smart but lawlers ruthless. Sounds like co main event to me.