Wanderlei Silva demanding PPV points to fight Chael Sonnen

Wanderlei Silva demanding PPV points to fight Chael Sonnen

After a series of verbal attacks, insults directed towards his home country, and a quick submission finish of a close friend, you might think UFC star Wanderlei Silva would be itching to get his hands on the man responsible – Chael Sonnen. However, it turns out “The Axe Murderer” has in fact declined the chance to duke it out with Sonnen, passing on the prospect of putting him down without some additional money up for grabs.

MMAFighting was first to report the matter. According to UFC President Dana White, Silva has demanded a percentage of the PPV profits associated with the outing and said the Brazilian could end up retiring as a result of having his request rebuffed.

Silva has yet to publicly comment on the allegation.

Sonnen most recently called Silva out after beating Mauricio Rua at UFC Fight Night 26. He holds an overall record of 28-13-1 with the bulk of his victories stemming from his takedown ability and top control. Comparably, Silva is 35-12-1 and has earned his reputation as one of the most vicious strikers the sport has ever seen thanks to 25 knockout wins including those over Brian Stann and Quinton Jackson.

• MickeyC says:

LoL. I do not know what to say here. Far be it from me to stop or insult a man for tryin to get a raise, but Im worried it may ruin the chances of the fight. Were they still plannin this with GSP/Hendricks. Surly GSP and Sonnen have buy percentages comin. I wonder how much the company puts out per event? Im sure theres plenty to go around, but is the UFC WILLING TO PAY IT OUT. Maybe chael should just let him keep the 100K chael says he owes him for the shogun fight.LOL.

• moosebaby02 says:

Nothing like Uncle Dana throwing someone under the bus. Well let’s see what Sliva has to say. Only thing is will Sonnen chime in first if not already?

• SBERG says:

I don’t see anything wrong with Wandy asking for a piece of the PPV pie. But to not fight altogether if he doesn’t get it is another matter. He gets paid pretty well regardless of the PPV pie. The story just broke so more will come out I’m sure….

• darth_irritable says:

Ol’ Wandy is fast losing his anyone, anywhere reputation.

• MCM says:

agreed with everything SBERG. Let’s see how much of the story breaks in the coming days.

But just for fun….

this basically sums up everything Chael has said about Wandy over the years. And that’s that he doesn’t want the fight. Chael said he doesn’t want to give this guy any excuses and now Wandy has found one. Since Wandy is ducking and Vitor is picking fights with Hendo, I’d like to see Chael vs Rashad or Davis.

• fanoftna33 says:

I dont see any reason for Silva not to get PPV points as this will be a huge fight and most likely generate tons of buys, especially if they are the main event. Plus he will have to put up with tons of Sonnen BS for quite a few months, that right there deserves extra money for any fighter.

• AlphaOmega says:

Like SBERG pointed out though, there’s a difference from requesting extra money because it’ll be a big fight, and demanding extra money or threatening to retire from MMA, that’s the same thing Diaz has done his last two fights basically.

• darth_irritable says:

@fanoftna, I think the proposal is to have them comain under GSP/Hendricks, basically letting Wandy cash in on GSP’s buyrate. I don’t blame him for asking, but if he turns the fight down because he didn’t get PPV points (that he wouldn’t get at this stage of his career anyway), it’s very telling.

• fanoftna33 says:

@ Darth agreed asking and demanding are two different things, and I get the UFC not wanting to hand out to much as GSP has huge buyrates. If he turns it down because of buyrates I for one am quite dissapointed though as this is a huge departure from the Silva that had to be torn from the ring after Rampage challenged him in Pride.

• fanoftna33 says:

And lets not forget we are only getting Danas side here, I will reserve all judgement until Wanderlei tells his side.

• darth_irritable says:

And Sonnen – we’re certainly getting his perspective.

• SBERG says:

Let’s also keep in mind that if and I say if Dana agrees to giving Wandy a piece it will not be the same portion that GSP gets…It will absolutely be a more slimmed down version. Heck even with Chael’s mouth(Drawing power) he won’t get the same portion of payscale GSP commands. If and again I say if Dana tells Wandy I’ll give .45 cents per buy he better freakin take it because in my opinion that’s still way to much

• fanoftna33 says:

.45 cents per buy would be a pretty good amount, I dont see why he would turn that down, and a million buys is almost 45,000 extra.

• trupert says:

If Sonnen cannot fight Wandy, throw him in against Mousasi and maybe Wandy could fight Rashad. I see Phil Davis waiting it out until his title shot at LHW.

• SBERG says:

@ fan
    It would be $450,000……And as I stated that’s way too much for him…

• Richard Stabone says:

Everbody can relax. This is a basic negotiation tactic. Wandy is a legend of the sport as a result of his accomplishments in the ring/cage. And he’s the latest guy whose teet Chael has latched onto to drum up hype & make himself rich. So Wandy isn’t supposed to negotiate a piece of that action for himself?

That being said, it’s been seven years since the Axe Murdere won consecutive fights. If Chael had lost to Shogun I’d be able all for this fight. But Chael had a strong showing so I’m with MCM – Rashad or Davis would be better, and then give Wandy another matchup with someone who will stand & bang with him.