Tim Kennedy: “If you have a guy who can only fight in a scenario where he’s injecting synthetic testosterone into his body, he shouldn’t be fighting.”

Before UFC middleweight Tim Kennedy was booked to battle Lyoto Machida there was a good deal of discussion on the possibility of the Strikeforce veteran squaring off against Vitor Belfort. However, Belfort was ultimately scheduled to face Dan Henderson after turning the clash with Kennedy down, and now the world knows why. Though it was believed Belfort didn’t want to risk his spot as top contender at 185 pounds, according to Kennedy, “The Phenom” actually didn’t want to compete outside of the friendly confines of his home country where scrutiny surrounding Testosterone Replacement Therapy isn’t as steep.

“His requirement to fight me was to fight me in Brazil,” revealed Kennedy in a conversation with Bleacher Report. “If I get a call to fight, I’m told it’s at this time, at this place, and I accept. I don’t go around being like ‘Well, I’m only going to fight so and so if we meet in Austin, Texas.’ Fight clean, stop using steroids.”

“If you have a guy who can only fight in a scenario where he’s injecting synthetic testosterone into his body, he shouldn’t be fighting,” he continued. “This is mixed martial arts, (which involves) integrity, legacy, discipline … this is not Mark McGwire baseball; he almost killed the sport of baseball. Somebody needs to come to grips that this is damaging the sport.”

With Henderson also subscribing to the controversial practice of TRT, Kennedy feels the UFC has a match made in PED-heaven.

“I wonder who is going to have higher testosterone levels during their fight camp,” he asked rhetorically. “The real competition for those two is who is going to have the highest testosterone levels during the fight camp. Just take their testosterone levels from four weeks out, and that’s the winner of the fight, no reason for these guys to even meet in the cage.”

Kennedy has long been an outspoken opponent of TRT. Fortunately, he only has to focus on his meeting with Machida at UFC Fight Night 31 instead of the influence testosterone will have on the tilt. Fans can catch their clash on FOX Sports 1 this November 6.

• Niv says:

Thank you Mr. Kennedy! Even though I’m a little bit of a hypocrite as I’m a fan of both Vitor and Hendo, I can’t help but agree with Kennedy’s stance on this subject. If your body isn’t producing enough testosterone naturally then your body is telling you that being a pro athlete is in the past for you, not the present.

• SBERG says:

Yep………

• waitetr says:

My issue is not with TRT as lots of athletes get medical treatment for a whole host of maladies. My issue with Vitor is his know past PED use which can be a direct causation to the need for TRT. It’s already been said that NV commission won’t authorize his use of TRT so staying in Brazil for some many fights is quite suspicious IMHO.

• THEGUNNER says:

If its not the trt or anything else besides skill that wins fights than stoo talkin and show us that a fighter can still win fights without trt.

• SBERG says:

GSP- No trt
    Bendo – No trt
    Pettis – No trt
    Cain – No trt
    Jon Jones – No trt………Just to name a few..

• Niv says:

SBERG, that’s a nice list, everyone one of those fighters is at their physical peak though. I think the question is show me an aging fighter who needs TRT and can win without it.

If I recall, Randy Couture, Hendo, Sonnen and Belfort are/were fighters that needed TRT to remain competitive, I believe none of those fighters would still be fighting if they weren’t allowed to use it.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

As far as I recall, Couture has never admitted to using TRT or requested an exemption.

• Niv says:

Brendan I don’t know for sure,but I remember hearing Joe Rogan talk about Couture using TRT years ago. Now I’m trying to find where he said it, but I’m positive TRT and Randy Couture was talked about.

If I’m wrong I apologize but I first associated TRT with Couture before anyone else for some reason.

• Niv says:

Hey Brendan sorry to post a link from a competitors site but here goes.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Joe Rogan saying it and Randy Couture admitting it himself are vastly different things, no?

• darth_irritable says:

Exactly right Brendhan. Randy’s talked about natural therapy – which I realize is not exactly a denial of TRT, but he’s never had an exemption, nor pissed hot as I understand it.

As compared to some of his old school peers Cough Royce, cough Shamrock, cough cough Barnett cough cough.

To be fair though – a lot of sport supplements skirt REAL close to anabolics, and have since been classified as such. E.g. Prohormones like McGwire was using were legal, and classified as supplements back in the day.