5 UFC Fighters Who Retired Too Soon

When it comes to discussing Mixed Martial Artists and retirement the conversation tends to be on fighters who have held on a little too long a la Jens Pulver, Chuck Liddell, or Tito Ortiz. However, there are plenty of pugilists who have walked away from the UFC with gas left in the tank to the chagrin of countless fans. Here’s a look at five competitors whose time in the Octagon was cut short… (Photos by USA Today Sports Images)

• AlphaOmega says:

If i hit next after Diaz is it suppose to take me to the 10 most violent fighters article? Use to it took you back to 1.

I agree with most of those though, but I will say that I think Penn could make another decent run to top 2/3 at lw if he tried

• stone says:

Griffin’s chin is GONE… His retirement is a good thing
    BJ can’t hang with the top 5 in either LW or WW, so his retirement isn’t a bad idea either
    I have a feeling Diaz fights soon enough,…for the love of god, give us Diaz vs. Lawler 2!!!
    Brock’s health is a major issue, I’m sure he felt an unbearable pain when the Reem repeatedly went straight for his gut
    WE WANT LYTLE BACK!

• sides666 says:

Lytle was always great to watch after the season of tuf he was on. Diaz is a sad situation I would love to see him compete still but the rest retired for damn good reasons albeit unfortunate ones.

• sdouglasmc says:

Nick Diaz but no Kenny Florian?

• Dufresne says:

Kenny retired because of a lingering back injury.

But other than Diaz, I think a lot of these guys needed to retire. Sure, they had a few more fights in them, but I hate seeing guys fight when their heart or body has given up on them.

• MCM says:

damn right Duf. All these guys needed to retire.
    Unlike Matt Riddle who just retired cause “MMA don’t pay the bills”.
    Or Marcus “Big Baby” Jones who showed real promise on TUF then walked away from the sport after one loss to Mitrione.
    Or even Fedor who may have looked human in his last couple fights but was still a top 10 guy when he called it quits.

This list missed the mark by a mile.

• AlphaOmega says:

I thought Marcus Jones lost to Mitrione and claimed he quit, but then had an under card fight on the TUF Finale, and then lost again, and thats when he quit?

• hindsightufuk says:

yeah, no Fedor, Mark Hominick, Nick Denis, the Goat, Mayhem, Frank Shamrock (first time), Genki Sudo, Phillip Miller, Igor, Pat Miletich, does Rickson count?, Bas, Herring, Terrell, hate to say it but Gina C, Aleksander Emelianenko (first time), Serra, Arona, Mezger, Misaki, Jason McD, Lee Murray (ha), Tanner (first time).

whole heaps more who deserve to be on that list more, than those there. only Lytle i agree with