Penn vs. Edgar 3 to happen after they coach TUF 19

Penn vs. Edgar 3 to happen after they coach TUF 19

It was just announced on UFC Tonight that Frankie Edgar and BJ Penn will fight a third time after coaching the next season of the Ulimate Fighter opposite one another.

The fight will be contested at 145 lbs, which will be Penn’s first trip to featherweight after getting brutalized by Nick Diaz and Rory MacDonald at welterweight. Edgar has only competed a single time at 145 lbs, and the season was originally being planned to have Urijah Faber vs. Edgar, but Edgar was unwilling to drop another weight class to face off with Faber.

TUF 19 airs in April 2014 on Fox Sports 1, which will feature light-heavyweights and heavyweights.

• THEGUNNER says:

Why? Hasnt edgar had enough rematches?

• AlphaOmega says:

It’s kinda bad/sad when a fighter can fight 8 times, and it’s against only 5 opponents.

• raker says:

Love it!! Although BJ @ 145 is a bit of a surprise.

• MCM says:

Not so sure I like this at all. But I’m definitely interested to see BJ at 145. It’ll make him actually work in the gym.

@AO
    Cain is going on 5 fights against two opponents.

• SBERG says:

I know alot of people on here like BJ alot but I just don’t see a point to this fight……

• AlphaOmega says:

True MCM, hopefully he doesn’t end up like another Frankie in that regard, after this fight 3 of Frankies last 9 fights will of been the same guy

• hindsightufuk says:

don’t get it in the slightest. not like its a rubber match is it.
    Edgar should be fighting Cub for no 1 contendorship.
    If BJ is really making 145 then let him fight someone like KZ, or Dustin, or Hacran, or a fun fight he can win like Bermudez, Brandao etc.

I love BJ, he is up there as one of my all time idols from any sport, but this sucks, and BJ hasnt been motivated for a while, i dont see him even making 145, let alone getting motivated to fight Frankie for a 3rd time. why would you bother?

• fanoftna33 says:

I like this fight as both were pretty competitive, and B J has more than earned my respect as a fighter, but his last stint on TUF was very unimpressive. I just think a guy who constantly needs to be reminded to stay motivated isnt the best guy for a coach, even though I do belive he has tons experience to share and could be great at it. I really wish they had gone with Gilbert Melendez here at 155 with BJ as that is a fight everybody wanted to see for years, and would get Gilbert introduced to a broader audience.

• Richard Stabone says:

If BJ is intent on fighting again I would have preferred something like BJ vs. Nate Diaz at 155. LW has seemingly always been BJ’s ideal weight class, and it would give him a chance to somewhat avenge the drubbing he took from the elder Diaz. (even at the risk of losing the Diaz-Maynard trilogy we’re all itching to see happen)

Like hindsight mentioned, I’m skeptical BJ will even make the 145 limit. He likely hasn’t weighed as little as 145 since his early teen years, and now all of a sudden–in his mid-30s–he’s going to be able to flip that switch and radically shift his entire lifestyle/training/physique? And this is BJ Penn… hell of a fighter, but never known for pushing himself physically. Sounds like another Roy Nelson situation to me.

Is it within the realm of possibility, as some sort of hypothetical talking point, that these guys could compete at a lower weight class? Sure.

Is it realistic? Meaning, do I think BJ Penn–whose last 3 bouts were at 170, meaning it’s been 3 years since he even fought at 155, let alone 145–is going to be able to make the drastic transformation *and* maintain the ability to compete with the elite fighters of the sport? Heck no I don’t.

This is another forced attempt to cook something up for the sake of the reality TV show, with the fight matchup unlikely to provide much of a payoff for fans.

• Richard Stabone says:

Correcting myself, BJ’s last four fights were at 170, and by the time this fight rolls around it will have been nearly four years since BJ competed below 170 lbs. On top of that, instead of Frankie staying busy at FW against one of the multiple legitimate contenders, he’ll get a lengthy break from fighting to dick around with a reality TV show, and upon his return he’ll fight a guy who isn’t relevant in the FW division… and who, in my opinion, is far from a safe bet to even make weight.

I fail to see how this whole thing makes any sense, apart from being another marketing ploy to try to generate ratings for a (slowly dying) reality TV show.