Lyoto Machida replaces injured Michael Bisping in match-up with Mark Munoz

Lyoto Machida replaces injured Michael Bisping in match-up with Mark Munoz

Fans got some bad news today when it was revealed an undisclosed injury to UFC middleweight Michael Bisping’s eye had forced him out of an October 26 tilt with fellow Top 10er Mark Munoz. Fortunately, the organization was able to find a more-than suitable replacement for the Brit, bringing in Lyoto Machida as a substitute.

UFC officials confirmed the change earlier today. Machida-Munoz will serve as the headliner at UFC Fight Night 30. No word has surfaced on how the UFC will handle the vacancy opposite Tim Kennedy, the man Machida was originally set to face on November 6 at UFC Fight Night 31.

Machida holds an overall record of 19-4 and is a former light heavyweight champion with past wins over Randy Couture, Dan Henderson, and Rashad Evans. He will be making his middleweight debut in the meeting with Munoz. Meanwhile, Munoz is 13-3 in his career and coming off an impressive outpointing of Tim Boetsch.

• THEGUNNER says:

Nice but I still want to see munoz vs bisping.

• Creature says:

I think Machida is a horrible matchup for Munoz.. But this could set up a Machida/Bisping or Machida/Vitor fight for #1 contender if he pulls off a win.

• raker says:

Stoked to see Machida at MW and agree that this is a horrible match up for Munoz. Machidas speed should be insane unless he’s completely drawn out and weak.

• darth_irritable says:

Creature, one draws the conclusion from your avatar, that you are not Bisping’s #1 supporter…

• darth_irritable says:

Machida v Bisping would be good too. The shit talker v the piss drinker.

• THEGUNNER says:

No bllitor results.

• Creature says:

@darth.. Eh I don’t mind Bisping, but I certainly don’t like him either. That and Hendo is hands down my favorite fighter.

• darth_irritable says:

I share your Hendo love. Really hating seeing him slow down though :(

• Creature says:

Yeah its been hard to watch, it seems like his age is finally starting to catch up with him, in his last 2 fights especially. Has me a bit worried about his fight with Vitor.

Here is to hoping Hendo can muster up enough in the tank to drop at least one more “H-bomb” before he decides to hang em up.

• Creature says:

BTW Anyone else see the video of Wand and Chael at the fan expo or whatever? Believe Wand just uploaded it recently. Seems like grade A bad blood, not the fabricated crap we usually see. Reminds me of the Pride days. If they dont put those 2 in a cage it will be serious $$$ lost.

You guys here at 5oz should throw out an article about it so everyone can see it.

Or at least make a top 5 of Wands most angry moments with it included or something ;)

• darth_irritable says:

I saw it, but honestly, it felt as much like a work to me as any of Chael’s schtick – Wand “happening” to bring a camera? I think he knows he’s not got much left in him, and he’s angling to force Dana into one last big PPV points deal.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

I made sure to link it in the slideshow on feuds boiling over. Nice to see Sonnen didn’t back down from Silva’s tirade.

• Creature says:

I think it was pretty legit, Wand is known for losing his cool and getting in guys faces that he doesnt like. I think he brought the camera along thinking Chael would back down and he wanted to show everyone that he is all talk.. and the opposite happened.

And I agree Brendhan, Chael showed he wasnt intimidated in the slightest.

• joe mo mma says:

holy comments, batman.

has there been any news on whether Machida and ASilva would be willing to cross paths? hypothetically speaking, after Silva completely destroys Weidman in the rematch and Lyoto walks through Munoz and maybe another fighter like Vitor/Bisping/Souza they would undoubtedly be matched together.