Ben Rothwell Dealt Nine-Month Suspension By UFC For Elevated Testosterone

Ben Rothwell Dealt Nine-Month Suspension By UFC For Elevated Testosterone

Heavyweight Ben Rothwell has been suspended nine months by the UFC.

Rothwell, who defeated Brandon Vera in August, was given his suspension by the promotion and not the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services, which gave him the post-fight blood test.

The UFC decided that Rothwell’s elevated levels of testosterone were high enough to result in a suspension. He must complete a negative drug test prior to returning to action.

Below is the official UFC statement:

As the result of a blood test indicating an elevated level of testosterone in his system following UFC 164 in Milwaukee, WI, on August 31, the UFC has suspended heavyweight Ben Rothwell for nine (9) months from the date of the contest.

Rothwell’s post-fight blood test was administered by the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services. While the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services has elected not to impose any discipline on Rothwell, to date, the UFC holds its athletes to a high standard of personal and professional conduct and finds that Rothwell’s actions merit the suspension as a violation of the UFC Fighter Conduct Policy and his Promotional Agreement with Zuffa, LLC.

Upon completion of his suspension, Rothwell must also submit a negative drug test before being allowed to compete in a UFC event.

• THEGUNNER says:

Maybe thats why his face looks the way it does.

• MCM says:

From Big Ben:

“Following my victory at UFC 164 I was informed I tested for an elevated level of testosterone. This came as a shock because I had applied for and was granted a TRT exemption and was doing so under the supervision of a doctor. I was tested every week for eight weeks prior to the fight and was well under the acceptable level each time.

I had applied for TRT after an endocrinologist and Wisconsin athletic doctors diagnosed me with hypogonadism. They felt it was caused by a car crash in 1999 that left me with severe head trauma and in a coma. Doctors told me TRT was something that could stop the hypogonadism from degrading my body.

After getting the news of the elevated test, I spoke with the Wisconsin Athletic Commission and they decided to give me an administrative warning. I was told they didn’t think I tried to cheat, but felt some punishment was necessary.

I have now been informed the UFC has elected to suspend me for nine months. I am not going to fight the suspension as I feel ultimately it is my responsibility to make sure I stay under the acceptable limit. I am deeply sorry for this mistake and apologize to my fans, family and friends.”

Also good to know that because the UFC issued the suspension and not the Athletic Commission, the fight will remain a Win for Rothwell. Which begs the question, What the hell is Vera still doing in the UFC?

• THEGUNNER says:

Im still wating for vera to beat cain the drop weight and beat jj and hold both belts.

• Angry Mike says:

Wait a minute. If he got hypogonadism from head trauma, what does that suggest about the location of his Johnson? And isn’t this proof that fighters who use PED’s are d**kheads? Just thinkin’ out loud here.

• MCM says:

@Angry Mike, I was gonna type “Ha, I like where your heads at.” but I didn’t want it to be taken the wrong way. ;)

• Angry Mike says:

Yeah, I’ve done some thinkin’ with certain parts of the anatomy, but the parts are all located where they’re supposed to be.