UFC 169 Official, Jon Jones-Glover Teixeira, Frank Mir-Alistair Overeem Set

UFC 169 Official, Jon Jones-Glover Teixeira, Frank Mir-Alistair Overeem Set

A previously announced bout between UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and Glover Teixeira was confirmed by UFC officials for UFC 169 in February.

The card will coincide with Super Bowl weekend and will air on pay-per-view February 1 from the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey. It was previously mentioned that it could air on FOX to go hand-in-hand with the network airing the Super Bowl the next day.

Also, officials announced that a planned heavyweight scrap between Frank Mir and Alistair Overeem has been moved to the co-main event slot. That fight was scheduled for November.

Jones (19-1) defeated Alexander Gustafsson recently, improving to 13-1 in the UFC and winning his 10th straight. Teixeira (22-2) is a perfect 5-0 since joining the promotion, including a win over Ryan Bader.

The UFC issued a statement in regards to the decision to move the Mir-Overeem contest.

“The move was determined in conjunction with the Nevada State Athletic Commission representatives to provide more time following Frank Mir’s recent August 31st competition,” the statement read. “While there was no indication whatsoever that Mir wouldn’t be fully, medically cleared in time to compete on November 16th, UFC officials and Nevada Commission representatives believed that a short postponement would allow both athletes more time to train for the bout.

• stone says:

So where does this leave Alexander Gustafson?…they should give him a fight on the same card!

• MCM says:

Mir is on a 3 fight losing streak and Overeem in on a 2 fight one. That’s a combined record of 1-5 if you total their last three fights! And their Co-headlining a PPV!?! Who says losers can’t get ahead in the UFC.

• MCM says:

Side note: Anyone else having trouble with that stupid ad underneath the image. Mine keeps cutting into the comment box and I have to type this at the very bottom of my screen?

• waitetr says:

@MCM AdBlock Plus and Firefox will take care of that for you.

• MCM says:

I’m using both of those waitetr. I never had the problems others have with ads, but I guess they finally found a way to get me.

• THEGUNNER says:

So as fans we lose a fight on nov 16 that they announced already. Whats next gsp injured?

• waitetr says:

@MCM Weird considering I’m not having a problem and I use those as well. I have found there is an extremely annoying video display that keeps popping up in the bottom right

• AlphaOmega says:

I don’t see Overeem losing this fight, he can get overcocky all he wants and I doubt Mir knocks him out