Ben Askren Calls Out Top UFC Fighter

Ben Askren Calls Out Top UFC Fighter

Bellator welterweight champion Ben Askren tossed the idea of retirement out the window. Askren sent a tweet to UFC president Dana White and UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre making it clear who was on his mind.

“Not retiring yet, still 1 person I want to beat up. @GeorgesStPierre @ufc @danawhite”

Askren is undefeated with 12 wins and has served as the Bellator welterweight champion for most of their existence. Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney teased an announcement about the free agent.

St-Pierre has dominated the UFC welterweight division and is considered one of the current pound-for-pound best fighters out there.

Hopefully, we’ll know soon enough what’s next for Askren.

(This post originally appeared on FightLine.com)

• MCM says:

Askren may not be considered an “entertaining” fighter (although I enjoyed his last couple fights), and Dana has gone on the record as saying he’d never sign Funky, but I can’t see how bringing him on would be any more of a risk then bringing on Jake Shields.
    I’d love to see how Askren handles himself in the UFC. Maybe give him the Ellenberger fight, Jakes been asking for, then see if GSP really IS the best wrestler in MMA.

• hindsightufuk says:

to be honest i found Ben’s last couple of fights infinitely more entertaining than those from say, Phil Davis, Rashad, Little Nog, Hendo, Machida, Ryan Bader, Okami, Maia, Shields and many more.
    I really hate that Dana has any say in who fights who, or who is given the oppurtunity to fight in the premium fight org. the sooner that fat tongued fuck steps down the better far as i care

• darth_irritable says:

Pretty ballsy calling out GSP, given Askren is from the same place where Lombard was unbeatable.

Sill, I’d like to see him get a shot in the UFC. Give him Shields – loser leaves town, winner gets beaten to death by Georges.

• SBERG says:

None of this matters….He’s not a UFC fighter and based on what happened to Eddie Alvarez he won’t be a UFC fighter so again, None of this matters…It’s just hot air, nothing more.

• Screenplaya says:

Gee, I wonder if GSP would be able to defeat a one-dimensional fighter, who most likely is weaker than GSP in that one dimension? I wonder if he, Tri-Star, and Greg Jackson can come up with a game plan to allow GSP to be victorious?

I think I have the game plan: “When entering the ring, check a mirror. If you are Ben Askren, get out of there. You are about to get to murdered.”

• fanoftna33 says:

I belive Askren would have the wrestling to be able to have some success in a GSP fight but not nearly enough skills to win such a fight, GSP is a completly different fighter than anyone he has faced before and it would show early and often. GSP has faced some seriously good wrestlers in guys like KOscheck, Hughes, Fitch etc and never been controlled or dominated, although grappling wise Kos more than held his own in the second fight. Ben may just land a few takedowns but GSP is just to fast, in better shape, and has to much experience for him.

• THEGUNNER says:

arsken will lose not to just gsp but kos, hendricks, condit and 8/10 top guys in the ufc. Fighters still dont get that their belt means the beat lower tier compition.

• MCM says:

I think you guys are a little hard on Askren. (ha. I said “little hard on”) Yes, he’s mostly one dimensional, but if Maia has proven anything, it’s that a one dimensional grappler can go pretty damn far in MMA. Especially one that is as tenacious as Funky and willing to take a shot or three in order to get the takedown. I think Ben would maul GSP on the ground the same way Fitch would have, if GSP was dumb enough to go to the ground. Thankfully GSP is a very smart fighter and would most likely keep it standing, but I’d still be intrigued to see if Askren could turn it into a grappling match.

I think Askren is a little more challenging/interesting than anyone else in the division right now. I’d say Maias up there too, but he’s shown a propensity to get KO’d.

• Angry Mike says:

I think I’ll call out GSP. That fight won’t happen, either, and maybe somebody will give me 15 seconds of fame. Askren is the champ in Bellator, which means he’s the biggest fish in a small pond. And it’s no wonder White doesn’t want him. White didn’t like Fitch, and Askren is Fitch 2.0.

• MickeyC says:

If I were in Bens shoes, not only would I be calling out GSP, Id challange Dana himself. “Dana dosent want me in the UFC because I will murder his top pound for pound, &show the world that not all of best in the world, fight under his banner”. That would be the 1st thing out of my mouth. Have these boys learned nothing from the Gangster. Sell it to the fans!!!!Talk shit, sell it, make me either want to see you do it or get smashed tryin. I would be doing to hype myself, your workin on a resume kid. That being said, I too have enjoyed bens last couple fights mote than the earlier ones. Simply because he is starting to do a lil damage on top, rather than just dry hump as in days of old. But come fight night, GSP wins, no dout.

• AlphaOmega says:

So what do you all think about that Tony Lopez fight, where he held the RNC way to long after the ref tired to pull him off, then hammer fisted the guy once he released the hold after the fight was way over?

• MCM says:

just caught it. There’s a reason Lopez has spent a 50 fight career on the regional scene. I think he should be fined, but the talk of lifetime bans is ridiculous. It was a classless move, but I’ve seen worse in local shows.

• MCM says:

Here’s a fun example I just came across.

• fanoftna33 says:

Maia has a propensity for getting KOed? Really? He has 22 pro fights and has only been KOed 1 time I wouldnt call that a propensity, I would call that a bad fight. Come on MCM you can do better than that.

• Screenplaya says:

To me, Maia is not a great example of a one-dimensional fighter, as he has gone to great lengths to improve his striking. What I love about Maia is that he is a great example of a guy who has moved down to the proper weight class. At 170, he is a super-dangerous guy, and I think he should get the next title shot.

• Screenplaya says:

…assuming he tears a buncha limbs off Jake tonight.