UFC 166 Main Card Predictions

If you’re a fan of heavyweight action, chances are good you’ve already got a spot on the couch reserved for the PPV portion of UFC 166. Saturday night’s lineup boasts three tilts between big boys including champion Cain Velasquez defending his belt against former title-holder Junior dos Santos, not to mention bouts featuring Darrell Montague-John Dodson and Gilbert Melendez-Diego Sanchez. All in all, it’s an event sure to entertain with a main card certain to produce more than one performance-based bonus. (Photos by USA Today Sports Images)

• raker says:

I have to disagree that JDS will have trouble matching Velasquez’s speed in the stand up exchanges. Juniors hands are lightening. I LOVE Cain but I can’t help but think that Junior took him a little lightly in their second fight and will work harder to keep his range. Cain is a beast but I also find it hard to believe that he’ll be able to stay away from Juniors power for another fight. This is a fight between 1 and 1a. It really could go either way but I’m picking JDS to catch Cain inside if 3 rounds. Either way I won’t be disappointed. Both are great!!

• fanoftna33 says:

Agree with all the picks for the main card, I am still on the fence for Gonzaga and Jordan though as Gonzaga has shown flashes of brilliance but also flashes of why he is a gate keeper. Jordan has more upside but if he cant stop Kongo from outgrappling him Gabe should have no problem…..right?

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

JDS by KO in the second-Cormier by decision-Diego by decision-Jordan by KO in the first-Dodson by KO in the second-Boetsch by man strength-Lombard by KO in the first-Kaufman by big sister beatdown-Noons by KO in the third-Ferguson by murder in the first-Amagov by amazing exhibit of potential-Fili by whatever he wants-and Kyoji by dynamic Japanese hidden moves

• MCM says:

Dodson – UD

Jordan – TKO
    I like Gabe, but 6-7 losses by KO/TKO doesn’t speak well for him. And Jordan may not be pretty but he’s a finisher.

Sanchez – UD
    This is a tough one as I don’t particularly care for either fighter, but I think Diego’s scrambles are highly underrated and his wild striking is gonna cause problems for the more technical Melendez.

Roy Nelson – KO
    I will always, ALWAYS!, choose Big Country regardless of odds, skill set, rankings, or opponent. That’s what fans do.

JDS – TKO
    I just can’t get behind Cain. Maybe it’s the lack of personality or the racist tattoo, but I just don’t like the guy. Now I’m not saying he’s not capable of putting a beat down on a healthy JDS, I just don’t think he’s going to. As long as JDS isn’t afraid to stay in the pocket, I think he clips Cain and finishes him before the third round.

• fanoftna33 says:

Cannot belive you guys are picking Deigo over Gilbert, crazy.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Diego even if he loses a decision still wins-what’s so hard to belive about that?

• Richard Stabone says:

I think Jordan beats Gonzaga.

Gilbert vs Diego should be a fun fight but Gil will outclass him.

Cormier would be the best win of Roy’s career by a pretty wide margin… not gonna happen.

If Cain comes in with a bum knee & carrying extra weight, JDS will have the upper hand. But if he’s healthy, Cain’s constant pressure will again prevent JDS from being able to get comfortable & set up his boxing, and I agree with Brendhan’s prediction of a TKO finish.

• fanoftna33 says:

Yeah Deigo has proven to be very tough to win a decision over hasnt he. I just dont see how he wins here.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Deigo isn’t fighting but if he was, I still would claim the same

• Richard Stabone says:

And why is Cain’s tat racist?

I mean, I get it. When anyone hears “white pride” their mind immediately goes to the white supremacy movement. Thanks to decades of ignorant & hateful behavior, led by but certainly not limited to radical groups like KKK and Neo-Nazis, the term “white pride” became branded with obvious negative connotations.

So with that in mind, Cain’s chest might be taunting the rest of us with views of Hispanic/Latino supremacy. That’s how this stuff works, right? And so since a white fighter can’t get away with it (due to the attached historical context), neither should any other race. That’s a double standard, dangnabbit!

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

You successfully answered your own question-I have a tat on my back of San Fran Pride in the exact same old english lettering as Cain has on his chest that I got when I was 17 while incarcerated in Oregon and I have had to defend myself in numerous ways over the years everytime I took my shirt off, I am now 41 and don’t regret any part of my life-I am proud to be a white man who grew up breakdancing and strutting and robbing and standing up for my beliefs and culture-nuff said

San Fran Pride?

I don’t get it…

Turf thing?

• Richard Stabone says:

And my point is that (white) people try to claim double standard about things that are very dissimilar if you look beyond the surface & attempt to understand the historical context. Obviously just my opinion though.

• Richard Stabone says:

And FWIW I’m a cracker myself, swelling with white guilt. Hope this doesn’t derail the fight prediction talk too much…I’ve always been a sucker for mcm’s bait.

Wow, 169lbs for Lombard.

DC at 224 on his way down to LHW (Roy was looking slim by his standards at 249)

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Proud of my historic city and area-the world renowned Barbary Coast-birthplace of the Hell’s Angels-Black Panthers-and the most vicious freedom fighter gangs the world has ever seen-we make the Gangs of New York look like half asses at best-do some research

• AlphaOmega says:

My friend and I’s main problem with Cain’s tat is this..brown isn’t a race, its a color. If it’d said mexican/latino/spanish pride, great.

• Richard Stabone says:

@Gike… Yeah I get the civic pride part but wasn’t sure why that would be a catalyst for confrontation throughout your life.

• Richard Stabone says:

@AO… I hear ya. Mexican Pride would be a more specific description and might ruffle fewer feathers. But it wouldn’t change my perception of what the tat means to him.

• AlphaOmega says:

Has he ever talked about his tat? Because probably 8/10 times what people think a tat means, and what it means to the person wearing it is completely different.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Hey-let’s make the argument easier-When you have an identifying mark on your skin-it tends to attract more attention-there is no techno crap explanation that can justify the result

• MCM says:

For the record, I only mentioned it as one of the reasons I’m not a fan of his. I wasn’t baiting anyone. Personally, I have a problem with anyone being proud of their race, gender, sexuality, or ethnicity. Not because there’s anything wrong with those things, but because Pride should be associated with accomplishment. No one chooses to be Black or Female or Gay, you just are. It’s not a goal you set and then reach.
    Should Cain be proud of being the son of an immigrant farm laborer who made his way up the ranks of the fastest growing sport to sit atop it as the undefeated, undisputed champion of the world? Hell yes! He achieved something great against the odds and has every right to take pride in that. But he didn’t accomplish being Mexican (which is what Cain has stated the tattoo means) so taking pride in his skin color IS racist.
    Is it the main reason I don’t like him? Not at all. I just find him to be an extremely boring personality. He’s more lifeless than GSP in a Nos commercial. I like my superstars to have pizazz.

Now, I’m not trying to “bait” anyone so ya’ll don’t need to respond to this, it’s just my opinion….
    you could respond to the email I sent you though Richard.

Suck it in, big fella!

(this photo would have been a decent one for Clash o da Captions.)

• MCM says:

damn, Was hoping to see Big Country come in closer to the 240lb mark. At least it looks like he took this camp seriously unlike the last one.

And does anyone else think Diego and Jordan both look like they could be a weight class lower than their opponents. I might have to switch up my pick on Gilbert.

• Richard Stabone says:

Email? Didn’t realize I had an email on file here but checked my profile thingy and see what I used to sign up with… fire away and I’ll look for an email if you’re still interested in contacting me.

So anyway, I didn’t mean to call you out with my comment about you baiting me… more of a light comment about how we go back & forth, and I tend to have to respond. But on a more serious tone, you gotta realize when you use the term “racist” it’s going to elicit a reaction. And me being me, I’ll ramble on a bit more on the topic…

With Cain, I doubt his intention with the tattoo was to celebrate the fact his skin is brown. Or that he happened to be born in a certain country. It’s about what it represents. When a U.S. soldier gets a tat that includes an American flag, they aren’t saying “Hell yes! My parents were within the borders of the United States when I popped out!” It goes way beyond that. And I’m a white American that says, “hell yeah!… I get it.” I love what Tim Kennedy represents and appreciate the sacrifices he’s made for our country.

Before I digress too much… with Cain my perception of his tat is that it’s a representation of his pride in his heritage/culture/where he came from. The dude was born in California & went to college in Arizona… which belonged to Mexico before the U.S. bought them. And nowadays if you have brown skin and are passing thru (or live in) Arizona it’s best to avoid police contact, or be prepared to explain why you’re there and that you’re not an illegal alien in the place your recent ancestors owned before the U S of A.

Long story short, I can understand why the Hispanic community would want to celebrate/maintain their culture that has largely been stamped out already within U.S. borders, and political movement continues to threaten (which is also subjective). So yeah, I’ll stop there but will respectfully disagree with the assessment that Cain’s tattoo is racist.

• Richard Stabone says:

…and that it’s *completely* different than a white person using/promoting the “white pride” term, which only perpetuates an inarguably ugly part of human history.

• AlphaOmega says:

I take offense with your NOS comment MCM..GSP is absolutely hilarious in that commercial, I die laughing every time I hear with your money

(for the record this was a joke and I don’t really take offense)

• AlphaOmega says:

And wow cain looks smaller then usual, way more cut, so does Big Country and Cormier as well.

• Richard Stabone says:

Cain weighed in a pound heavier today than he did each of his last two times out — most recently wrecking Big Foot (for the 2nd time) and before than demolishing JDS.

Cain is, however, heavier than he was in the first JDS fight when he was the heaviest of his career, nursing a bum knee that he received a cortisone shot for just ahead of fight time.

Not that it would have made a difference. Good luck tomorrow night, JDS!

• Richard Stabone says:

errr… Cain weighed in the heaviest of his career, coincidentally, for the first fight against JDS.

Should be a good fight tomorrow. Both know what the other is capable of. May the best man win, and the rest of us will talk about it.

• MCM says:

Shows how much you know AO, it’s pronounce “Wit chore monee.”

I laugh at that too.

• AlphaOmega says:

I was meaning he looked smaller/more cut, less flab then usual I thought.

That’s true MCM

• Richard Stabone says:

I was just pointing out his actual weight but you might be right, AO. Cain is this much farther removed from surgery on both his knee (ACL) and shoulder (rotator cuff) so it’s possible his overall physical condition is that much better now. Kind of a scary possibility for the rest of the HW division.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says: