Gegard Mousasi Calls For Match With Lyoto Machida

Gegard Mousasi Calls For Match With Lyoto Machida

Gegard Mousasi is ready to return to action – and he wants a former UFC champion to stand across from him inside the Octagon.

Mousasi, a former champion himself in other promotions, watched Saturday as Lyoto Machida debuted in the middleweight division with an impressive knockout of Mark Munoz.

Now, “The Dreamcatcher” wants his shot at “The Dragon.”

“I want to make an impact in MW division and fight Machida!” said Mousasi, who has bounced around between 185 pounds and 205 in his career.

Earlier this year, Mousasi debuted in the UFC with a win over Ilir Latifi, improving to 34-3-2 in his career. He is unbeaten since a 2010 decision loss to Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal for the Strikeforce light heavyweight title.

• Screenplaya says:

“Hi, you probably don’t know me, but I am Gegard Mousasi, and I am a pretty big deal. Also, I love getting my face punched in. Bring it on, Lyoto!”

• Screenplaya says:

“My hobbies include: poking tigers, giving noogies to slumbering grizzlies, and being pounded into oblivion by half-Brazilian Sumo Ninjas.”

• fanoftna33 says:

I think Mousasi vs Machida is a far more competitive fight that Munoz could ever be. Mousasi has fought some of the best and has solid all around skills to test Machida with.

• Dachman says:

Screenplaya you may want to get informed if you think Mousasi is a nobody. I guarantee Machida won’t take him lightly. You do realize MMA has been going on outside of the UFC and around for more than a couple years.

• JabCrossHook says:

Playa, I wanna see you tell jokes after mousasi knocks machida the fuck out. You must not do your research before making such claims. Mousasi has fought K1 level HWs under kickboxing rules and won including finishing kyotaro. Machida has never competed on that level and one more importanth fact, he has a questionable chin. Mousasi has never even been rocked. His boxing is more technical than machida’s. If the dragon wins its going to involve takedowns and avoiding striking with gegard for long periods.

Machida looks good against subpar strikers, but against shogun, jones and rampage he has looked vulnerable. Machida’s weakness has always been boxing range which is Gegards specialty and at a distance at the very least they are evenly matched.

• fanoftna33 says:

Jab cross hook, Love the Mousasi build up and I completly agree, except fot the part where Machida looked vulnerable to Rampage, I know Rampage won the fight but even he admitted that he felt he lost due to tha fact that Machida almost finished him and he did nothing but chase Machida. That aside I hope we dont see Machida outwrestling his way to a win as with these two a striking war would be a blast to see.

• JabCrossHook says:

What I meant was that in the first 2 rounds vs rampage there were moments when machida looked flustered after rampage fired off combos with hooks and uppercuts.

• fanoftna33 says:

I see.

• THEGUNNER says:

Michida has fought harder compitition. Who has mousasi faced thats top ten in the ufc?

• JabCrossHook says:

Mousasi beat jacare by ko and he’s a top 5 maybe even top 3 mw.

Machida however has never fought in K1 under kickboxing rules against top lvl hw kick boxers. Mousasi has though.

• SBERG says:

Gegard was getting handled by Jacare and landed a lucky upkick. Yes he won and a ko is a ko but let’s not get carried away, he was not in control of the fight. Gegard vs Machida has the potential to be one of the most boring fights ever. I like both fighters don’t get me wrong but stylistically this is a horrible matchup from a fan perspective.

• AlphaOmega says:

Mousasi also got completely handled by King Mo, a guy who’s been somewhat wishy washy since beating Mousasi

• SBERG says:

@ Alpha….
    I’m still puzzled by the King Mo fight…..It just looked like Gegard was just bored and didn’t care….I hate saying that but he just never made much of a effort in that fight, he never looked hurt or in trouble in any way but just looked like he’d rather be home on the couch….weird..

• Richard Stabone says:

The Jacare fight lasted a little over 2 minutes. Jacare–one of the elite grapplers in the sport–secured a takedown and after about a minute of action on the ground where Mousasi absorbed no damage & was never threatened by a sub attempt, Mousasi separated Jacare from consciousness with a well timed upkick.

King Mo was also unable to hurt Mousasi at all. But Mo continually took him down & was able to keep him there. King Mo, a guy who is supremely confident & loose in the striking department wanted no part of trading with Mousasi. It was a smart game plan.

Obviously a loss is never a good thing, but Mousasi beat up King Mo from the bottom and was never in any real danger himself. Somewhat similar to when Showtime Pettis got Guida’d… a bump in the road but nothing that made me question whether those guys are capable of competing for a title. Mousasi’s biggest issue right now is health/durability, which is also a bit similar to what Pettis recently went thru. Mousasi is still relatively young (~18 months older than Pettis) and if/when he gets healthy & back in the cage I think he’ll quiet the doubters pretty quickly.

• SBERG says:

I like Gegard alot….I just feel like he needs a kick in the ass as far as motivation goes. It’s not a knock but more of a plea to see him be more active.Maybe it’s just his style that comes across as slow motion-ish. As far as him fighting Machida I stand by what I said …..It will be a snoozer for fans. Not looking forward to this fight at all.

• Screenplaya says:

LOL at the ‘Playa haters.

I guess you didn’t see him fight to a draw with the long-dead Keith Jardine? Mousasi is not as good as his hype, and it is likely that Machida is better at 185 than we thought.

• Angry Mike says:

A motivated, well-conditioned Mousasi would be a worthy opponent for Machida. Mousasi is well-rounded and is less likely than many to lose patience and chase Machida. I see him as patient and disciplined, although he’s seemed a little distracted in some of his recent outings.

• AlphaOmega says:

Gegard got his wish, Feb 8th

• Richard Stabone says:

If the fight actually happens I’m picking Mousasi. Obviously Machida is a great fighter, but he’ll be nearly 36 years old by the time the fight happens, and he doesn’t excel against strikers. Shogun had his number, as most believe Machida lost both of those fights. Machida fought to a virtual draw against guys like Rampage (who was already in decline mode) and 40+ year old Hendo who was coming off more than a year layoff. Machida dominates the guys who can’t take him down and aren’t as naturally comfortable/gifted on the feet…. that aint Mousasi.

But on the other hand, Gegard has been out a long time and will finally be making his UFC debut. So there’s no guarantees for him either. I just want to see that dude in the octagon, so he can have his chance to prove his worth.

• SBERG says:

@ Richard…..
    Gegard made his UFC debut April 6th 2013 against Latifi. Won it by UD.

• Richard Stabone says:

Was it April 5 or 6? Guess it depends on time zones.