Hendricks: “If You Can’t Handle Being Champion, Give it Up”

Johny Hendricks

While some fans may have finally stopped debating whether or not Georges St. Pierre in fact beat Johny Hendricks at UFC 167, speculation is still rampant as to whether and when a rematch will go down. Of course, unless you’ve just returned from an extended stay in the wilderness, you know that GSP relayed he’s going to take a break to deal with some personal issues.

Despite various reports, the nature of the welterweight champ’s problems still aren’t known, but it sounds like Hendricks thinks it’s time to move on either way. While speaking to AXS TV’s “Inside MMA” program recently, here’s what the punishing fighter had to say about St. Pierre’s issues, which he said have been preventing him from sleeping (quote transcribed by MMA Mania):

“Dude I’ve got three kids. You know what I’m saying? Talk about sleep? Are you kidding me? Everybody’s got problems in life. That’s the way it is. If you can’t handle being champion, give it up. We chose to get into that octagon, we chose not to sleep. I don’t know how many times I’ve went to bed at five, six o’clock in the morning and woke up at 10, running four miles because I wanted to beat GSP that bad. Dude, who cares. I chose this life. Tell yourself whatever you need to. Just get back in that octagon with me. I can’t wait for the rematch.”

How about that? Clearly Hendricks doesn’t think the issues are too severe.  Dana White relayed after UFC 167 that St. Pierre’s problems weren’t as serious as the renowned fighter thinks they are, but still, we don’t know what they are.

Hopefully St. Pierre is mentally and physically healthy to participate in a rematch sooner than later, but if he’s not, then the UFC could be crowning a new welterweight champ for the first time since 2008 (when GSP avenged his stoppage loss to Matt Serra). Crazy.

• SBERG says:

The more Johny talks the more he comes across as a complete dumbass……Nobody knows yet what’s going on with GSP…..Let the real story come out first then draw conclusions…..

• AlphaOmega says:

Stay classy Johny stay classy.

He’s acting like GSP is a new champ and his first fight was against Hendricks.

• darth_irritable says:

Maybe he’s playing the heel role, but I really doubt that much thought has gone into his stupid statements. This guy is making Amanda Bynes sound rational.

• SBERG says:

Look I understand he’s pissed cause he thought he won but he’s going overboard with the crybaby crap….. This is the guy people were screaming to be a champion? Even if he does win the belt someday he’ll never be the Champ GSP is..Ever!!!!!!!!!……This dude is turning into pure garbage right before our eyes…….

• THEGUNNER says:

Im gonna die laughing if gsp checks out fine and beats hendricks in a rematch. No ones gonna want to see hendricks vs gsp 3 if hendricks lost twice.

• moosebaby02 says:

Easy for a guy to speak about the champ when he has never been one. GSP has been the champ for a while now in the best org in the world. None of us has any right to judge

• Richard Stabone says:

The reaction to Hendricks is hilarious.

• Screenplaya says:

The reaction BY Hendricks is the thing that is hilarious. He comes off as a whiny punk in all his post-fight comments. I liked him fine until he didn’t get his way and became a crybaby.