Now that Georges St. Pierre has vacated the welterweight title, things are going to get a little crazy over the coming months, as fighters position themselves for a title shot. Of course, we already know that Johny Hendricks will battle Robbie Lawler at UFC 171 to determine the champ, but who’s next in line after that?
Well, since Carlos Condit is currently sitting at #2, then it looks as though his next bout will be a title shot eliminator. This could be a big reason why Tyron Woodley has been busy calling for a fight with the “Natural Born Killer”. Condit had been scheduled to fight Matt Brown at UFC on FOX 9, but a back injury has sidelined the surging vet.
So what does Dana White think of Woodley’s ongoing campaign? While speaking to the media after Saturday’s event, the UFC boss man apparently relayed Woodley isn’t going to get his wish. Although Woodley is coming off a memorable KO win over Josh Koscheck, he lost a close decision to Jake Shields before that, and isn’t currently ranked in the top ten.
White is, however, impressed with Woodley’s tenacity (comments via MMA Junkie.com):
“If Tyron Woodley texts me one more time…” said White. “The guy can’t text me enough. I mean, I’m not kidding you. I’m not being a promoter here. He must’ve texted me 15 times a day, and then when this thing with Georges St-Pierre went down, boom! He wants every fight.”
“There are guys like (Woodley) that are out there,” he said. “Those are the guys I want to deal with. Those are the guys I want to hear from. I love Tyron Woodley. I love it.”
So, Condit’s a no, but chances are Woodley will take on another well established vet next.