Hendricks on GSP Leaving: “He Knew He’d Have to Fight me Again”

Johny Hendricks

If you’re like most fans, then chances are you were really, really hoping that Georges St. Pierre would stick around for a rematch with Johny Hendricks, considering the memorable and controversial battle they had at UFC 167. Hendricks lived up to his billing as St. Pierre’s greatest challenge yet, and it would have been fascinating to see how a second fight would have unfolded.

As we all know, GSP stuck by his guns and has decided to step away from fighting, and it certainly sounds like the star made the right decision.Well, while appearing on the latest edition of “The MMA Hour”, here is some of what Hendricks had to say about St. Pierre’s decision and the pressure that comes with being champ (comments via MMA Fighting.com):

“I don’t care about that,” said Hendricks, while repeating what he relayed immediately following his November 16th scrap with St. Pierre.  “Here’s the thing, if I fight GSP again I fight him again. If I don’t, I don’t. My world doesn’t revolve around him. It revolves around that belt. And that’s what I’ve been saying this whole time.”

“I want the target on my back,” he said. “I want everybody to come after me. That’s been my goal since I started fighting. Is that I want the gold and I want everybody to sit there saying, ‘I want to beat that guy.’

When asked if he was surprised by GSP’s decision, Hendricks reportedly stated he wasn’t, since “he knew he’d have to fight me again.” Hendricks did note that St. Pierre could return to fight him again, and that you “don’t know what the future’s going to hold.”

While St. Pierre may be somewhat intimidated to fight Hendricks again, considering their first bout, it’s hard to imagine the welterweight calling it quits because of “Bigg Rigg”. GSP may have his critics, but it sounds like the former champ has been planning to step away for a while now.

• hindsightufuk says:

Hendricks should have a little more respect, GSP may not be the fighter he once was, but i guarentee two years ago GSP would have fucking nailed him to the canvas.

i’ve always supported Robbie Lawler since seeing his fight with Aaron Riley, followed his Hawaiian days and beyond. now he’s popular again and got himself an amazing oppurtunity. i hope he turns up with a far superior beard and knocks Hendricks head clean off

Well-Done. Thumb up 17 Thumb down 0

• AlphaOmega says:

I don’t know if Hendricks was always a douche and just hid it, or if losing that fight made it all come out.

• raker says:

I listened to that podcast today and I find it funny that Johny says it as if GSP is afraid to fight him again. As if!! We’re talking about the greatest WW of all time and one of the very best p4p fighters of all time that has taken on all comers. He stood and banged with Johny, and took his shots… And most importantly, won. I know the outcome is debatable but it’s not like it was a one sided beatdown. C’mon Johny.. Show some class. And be careful you don’t trip on that ego.

• redwire says:

I for one find it refreshing that Hendricks does not worry about looking like a huge douche every time he opens his mouth. I heard a rumour that he was bitten by Koscheck three years ago, and that’s how the infection spreads.

He had a massive wave of support before and directly after the GSP fight. Staying humble or even staying quiet would have taken him a long, long way.

• Richard Stabone says:

Hendricks was humble & said the right things for a long time, and what did it get him? Despite a 5-fight winning streak that included multiple top contenders, the title shot he very obviously should have had was instead given to Nick Diaz who was coming off a loss & drug suspension. Oh, and just for good measure he had to fight Condit & risk losing his title shot.

He finally got his shot & performed well, with many feeling he won the fight (some of the same folks who are now criticizing him). But in some respects he’s back to square one. I think his recent comments & overall attitude stems from a combination of frustration at how things have played out along with a better understanding what type of behavior/self-promotion is awarded by the UFC, wanting to push the envelope a bit to keep himself front & center to help avoid getting shafted by the UFC again.

• AlphaOmega says:

You could be right Richard, but now Hendricks can boast that he’s joined a new up coming group. This group also has Frankie Edgar and Chael Sonnen as members, it’s the I just lost a title fight so I’m going to be given another one group.

• redwire says:

I dunno about being back at square one. He just lost and now he once again gets to fight for the title. I think he should be pretty happy to be in that position. Slagging the undisputed greatest WW in the history of the UFC, a man who is now irrelevant in Hendrick’s stated goal of being the champ, is not cool. I’m sure he doesn’t fight to make fans, but the thing is, he *had* a bunch of fans and now he’s alienating them in clumps and bunches.

• Richard Stabone says:

Hendricks has put in countless hours busting his ass to put himself in position to become UFC WW champion while dethroning the most dominant champ in UFC history. He came oh so close to doing just that, with the UFC president ranting in his favor, and yet as things currently stand he has no belt (instead taking a loss on his record) and is unlikely (IMO anyway) to get another shot at the great GSP. So that’s what I mean by being back to square one in some respects.

But getting to turn around and fight for the vacated belt is a decent consolation prize, even though a victory in that fight won’t come close to matching the career-defining, transcendent moment that having Dana put GSP’s belt around his waist would have been.

• raker says:

I agree that if Hendricks had been awarded the decision against GSP that it would have been a career defining moment. Although even this loss in some respects has been career defining as so many have argued that Hendricks did in fact beat GSP. I’m not sure that I agree about being back to square one though just because Johny has repeatedly said that it’s never been about GSP for him but the belt tags is now vacated. He’s one step away from where he wants to be.

On a completely different note, it’s funny that in a talent ridden division that Lawler gets a title shot on a 3 fight winning streak while Bisping has had 3 such runs at MW and hasn’t had a shot yet. Funny how things work out.

• raker says:

Tags = that

• THEGUNNER says:

If matt brown beats condit id say hes about ready for a title shot. Right now bisping needs to stop the twitter wars and get a w over a top 5 guy.