Vitor Belfort to Apply for TUE for Weidman Fight

Vitor Belfort to Apply for TUE for Weidman Fight

Vitor Belfort has had an amazing career comprised of thrilling performances, stunning knockouts and substance abuse, which he’s parlayed into an improbable title shot at 36 years of age and after 17 competitive years in the sport. And for that proposed title shot, which will be against incumbent champ Chris Weidman at a UFC whose date has yet to be determined but will likely take place in Las Vegas, N.V., the Brazilian plans to do what he does best when he sets foot in the cage: testosterone replacement therapy.

Belfort, you see, hasn’t fought in the United States since 2011, and as a result hasn’t been subjected to the same level of hormonal scrutiny he’d face in places with actual athletic commissions. But looking like a caricature of a fighter and fighting like an anime version of what some Tokyo University of the Arts student would doodle in his spare time comes with limitations, and it was assumed that Belfort was going to have to ease up on the artificial testosterone injections if he was going to be able to get a match-up with the all-natural all-American in America. Not so, though!

Said Ariel Helwani on UFC Tonight last night: “I spoke with Vitor yesterday and he said he’s on TRT and that his doctors said he has to be on it. This has been prescribed and he’s planning on applying to be on a TUE for the next fight.”

Weidman doesn’t seem to be bothered by the prospect of having to face a Vitor Belfort that is more chemical than human (a sentiment shared by members of his camp as well – they’re confident he’ll beat Belfort anyway). But it should certainly bother the fans. Because if Weidman loses, so what? He lost to someone on the Super Soldier Serum. And if he wins, he just beat some ‘roided-out pile of bad choices and needles marks.

No, there’s a place for people like Belfort, and it’s not where commissions screen fighters for elevated testosterone throughout their training camps. Belfort’s place is in the wilds of Brazil, where they don’t need a regulated sport as much as they just need a reason for fans to go bonkers over the local guy winning.

• hindsightufuk says:

This is bullshit, I stopped reading this after the first parargraph. Jim you should have a little fucking respect. Sure we most likely all share the same opinion about TRT, but aren’t you supposed to be a journalist? And I use the term very fucking lightly. Every piece of shit you write is full of your childish opinions and barely veiled insults. I said it once before, take your shit to sherdog if you can’t learn how to write unbiased ‘reports’. You are a prime example of why so many long term members of this site cannot be fucked to come here anymore. Much as I hated the constant lists that were being posted here, I’d rather see them every day than have to read the same ignorant bollocks that is posted by whiney children on sherdog every day

Well-Done. Thumb up 10 Thumb down 0

• Niv says:

@hindsightufuk , agree completely, this is not how an article should be written by anyone doing this as a professional. I have my opinions on TRT therapy but this article has crossed the line.

• raker says:

I agree as well and don’t care for the highly opinionated articles by this writer. This one I find offensive. Belfort is not the only fighter to apply for a TUE for testosterone replacement, something that is allowed and accepted within the sport and the NSAC. So to call Belfort a cheater and to take away from his accomplishments is bullshit. Sonnen received a TUE from the NSAC after testing positive for elevated levels of testosterone so why single out Belfort? Because he’s having success? Our regulated sport that you speak of is allowing TUE’s for many other fighters and if Belforts place is in the Brazilian jungle then you’d better make room because he certainly should have company.

• drstu says:

I’ve noticed over the past couple months that every article on this site is just whining, it could be a normal story an then the last paragraph has to be some editiorialized garbage. No longer worth my time to visit this site…

• THEGUNNER says:

Sonnen had title fights while on trt. Hes all american but not all natural. That all american statement sounded kinda racist. Belforts gonna smash weidman and this site does suck at least other writers responded to the comments. Wheres everyone getting the mma news instead of here?

• raker says:

I had been wondering about Brendhan as I hadn’t seen any if his content lately so I checked his twitter and found this tweet from Jan. 6…

“Any PT opportunities out there for writers/editors in the MMA world? Some unexpectedly underemployed folks, including myself, are looking.”

His writing style and willingness to engage with the masses was one of the things I looked forward to in coming to this site. It’s obvious that the new writers have a much different approach and direction so I don’t see much need to come here any longer. Many of those who used to engage in discussion are no longer here so I’ll be joining them and waiting to see where Brendhan ends up. So long 5 oz.

• hindsightufuk says:

if any of you fellas no any decent sites we can use please share. i have to check new on Sherdog or BJPenn, but fucked if i’m gonna engage in any of the bullshit that goes with them

i miss adult discussions of mma

• Brendhan Conlan says:

I’m out of the MMA game at the moment. Didn’t get any nibbles and recently landed a job in a different field. Would love to still dabble in it on a PT level but no opportunities thus far. Feel free to hit me up on Twitter though. I still semi-monitor it.

Don’t blast Jim too hard. He is a good guy with a ton of experience/knowledge who was unexpectedly thrust into a tough position for reasons out of his control.

• darth_irritable says:

Man, if you’re gone Brendhan, I’m not sure this site is going to keep me. I actually like the way they do it on MMA Torch (no decent forums like this though).

On the Torch they cover the artictle, then have a Writer’s take section to offer an opinion. That works really well IMHO.

Also, Brendhan – come back to MMA – it needs you!

• Angry Mike says:

I’ve been reading and commenting on this site since the days it was owned and run by Sam Kaplan. The latest iteration hasn’t been my favorite. Part of it is content, but mostly it’s the format. I’m hanging in because it’s never been the kind of place for idiots and trolls, and there are many of those on other sites. I’ll give the author a pass on this one even if it’s a bit too snarky.

• raker says:

I agree mike. I’m not entirely pleased with some changes on this site but a day later I still find myself being drawn back in for discussion. It’s the best place for that. Maybe I’ll stick it out too.

• JabCrossHook says:

Awful article the author doesn’t even try to appear subjective. This should be a column/editorial not a news article, this is the author’s opinion which isn’t fact. Not to mention he’s incorrect in his statements anyway. TRT didn’t teach Vitor how to set up and land those kicks, as it didn’t teach him how to knock someone out going backwards avoiding their punches. That came with hard training and sparring with elite strikers. TRT has nothing to do with that ability to execute techniques skillfully.

• AlphaOmega says:

No No of course TRT did all that JabCross, just like TRT gave Chael a granite chin in his fight against Silva.