“Big Country” Nelson Ready To Take On Legend “Minotauro” Nogueira

“Big Country” Nelson Ready To Take On Legend “Minotauro” Nogueira

Roy Nelson will get the chance to take down a living legend in MMA next month when he faces Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in Abu Dhabi at UFC Fight Night.

Nelson, coming off back-to-back losses to Daniel Cormier and Stipe Miocic, recently appeared on “UFC Tonight” to discuss taking on “Minotauro.”

While some feel the skills of the two heavyweights are equal in terms of the ground game, “Big Country” is tipping his hat in the corner of Nogueira.

“Back in the day, I’d say I was an excellent jiu-jitsu guy, but I’m old,” Nelson said. “I give him the advantage there, because he’s the legend.”

Nelson, of course, is the same age of Nogueira, as both men are 37 years old.

One area where the former Ultimate Fighter winner feels he does hold the advantage is in the stand up game. Nelson knocked out Dave Herman, Matt Mitrione and Cheick Kongo during a recent stretch of fights in the first round, and holds a dozen knockout victories to his credit.

“I hit harder, so I always have an advantage (in the stand-up),” he said. “Look at Dan (Henderson, who recently finished Shogun Rua).”

Along with his usual training partners, Nelson admitted he brought in former Strikeforce champion Nick Diaz for this camp, saying “I’ve trained with Nick a couple of times.”

• AlphaOmega says:

Anyone else shocked every time they say Big Nog’s age? I keep thinking he’s like 65+ whenever I see him, then its like oh he’s only 37?

• fanoftna33 says:

I was, i also think of him more in the Randy Couture age range.

• hindsightufuk says:

i can’t believe Big Nog is younger than me, freaks me out

• Richard Stabone says:

The results agree, as it’s been over 6 years since Nog won consecutive fights.

• AlphaOmega says:

OFF TOPIC: This is the most active article here right now, so did you all see Cyborg lost in her 3rd professional Kickboxing fight to someone who’s 40-0? First off that’s massively lopsided so I’m not surprised Cyborg lost, second who wants to bet that it gives Dana/Rousey more ammo

• hindsightufuk says:

i didn’t get to see the fight, was Cyborg ‘beaten’ or did she just lose the contest?

• AlphaOmega says:

I didn’t see it either, but everything I’ve read was that she was outclassed on all angles, and that the only real success she had was in the 4th rd. They also did say though that Cyborg kept coming forward and trying to make it a good fight, so there’s that.

• fanoftna33 says:

I saw the fight and Cyborg got dominated in the first three rounds, knocked down three times even though the ref didnt count one of them. She did very well later in the fight though coming on strong. I think it was a very gutsy fight for her to take and the lady Baars was 38-0 but hadnt had a Thai fight since 2011, and Justino was in only her third so it wasnt as lopsided as it seemed on paper but yes Baars dominated but Cyborg proved she is super tough and can literally hang with the best in there own sport there own rules.

• fanoftna33 says:

That is not to take anything away from Baars as she never backed away from Justino and never got rocked by the big shots, a very composed lady who said from the get go that her tecnique will defeate Justino’s power, and she was right. Hindsight, Chris was beaten convincingly but not crushed if that makes sense.

• hindsightufuk says:

crazy really to take your 3rd pro fight against a 38-0 fighter, and mad props for making anything even resembling competitive