Cormier, Stann Feel Rockhold Is Next UFC Title Contender

ufc 172

Fresh off a pair of finishes inside the Octagon, Luke Rockhold needs to set his sights higher, according to close friend and training partner Daniel Cormier.

Immediately following his first round submission victory over Tim Boetsch Saturday night at UFC 172, Rockhold pushed for either a rematch with Vitor Belfort or a fight with Michael Bisping.

Cormier, appearing on the FOX Sports 1 post-fight show, doesn’t believe he fight is right for the former Strikeforce champion.

“He’s got to let the Belfort and Bisping things go and move forward,” Cormier said. “He’s got to go fight for the title.”

Belfort earned a knockout victory over Rockhold last year on his way to becoming the No. 1 contender. However, he was removed from a title fight due to the ban placed on TRT and has yet to receive clearance to fight again. UFC president Dana White said there are no plans for him to compete this summer, meaning he will be on the sidelines for the extended future.

Rockhold and Bisping have gone back and forth since he first arrived in the UFC, but “The Count” is coming off a loss to Tim Kennedy and Cormier said that would be a step backwards if the two fought.

Brian Stann, also an analyst on FS1, stated that “This is the second Top-10 fighter that Rockhold has walked through. He’s the next guy in line for the title.”

Chris Weidman is currently scheduled to meet Lyoto Machida later this year for the middleweight belt.

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Follow 5OZ