Dan Henderson is content with the ban of TRT and continuing to perform inside the Octagon without.
However, the former champion believes that the way the Nevada Athletic Commission and the UFC went about getting rid of the exemption was wrong.
Henderson returns to action this Saturday night at UFC 173 against Daniel Cormier in a key light heavyweight affair. Henderson (30-11) was allowed to use TRT for his win earlier this year vs. Mauricio “Shogun” Rua because it went down in Brazil.
“They kind of didn’t tackle the real problems of people abusing,” said Henderson, during an interview on Inside MMA. “They’re going to abuse drugs no matter what. These guys, they already tested more than anyone else. They kind of dropped the hammer on them instead of across the board implementing a random drug testing and no advance notice testing (systems).”
Henderson, who tuns 44 years old later this year, snapped a three-fight losing skid when he finished Rua for the second time back in March. The win was his first since a 2011 decision over Rua, a former UFC light heavyweight champion.
The lack of TRT hurt Henderson in training, he said, as he stated more time was spent laying “on the couch (than) before.
“It’s all about just making sure you train hard and smart,” he added. “I did that before I was on TRT. I really don’t notice too big of a difference, but hopefully I make a statement that it doesn’t matter (against Cormier).”
FightLine will have complete coverage of UFC 173 this weekend, including play-by-play and post-fight news and information.