Alexander Gustafsson Calls Out UFC Champ

Jon Jones

Alexander Gustafsson doesn’t understand why his planned UFC light heavyweight title fight vs. Jon Jones is not yet official. Gustafsson signed on the dotted line for a planned August bout, but “Bones” has yet to do so.

“Still no signature from you on that piece of paper from the UFC,” Gustafsson wrote on Facebook. “As a champ, accept my challenge. You have something that belongs to me and I want it.

“The fans are waiting, so come on now, stop delaying.”

Previous reports linked the title fight to August and UFC 177 in Las Vegas. UFC president Dana White, though, noted Jones remains in contract talks regarding a new deal.

He reconfirmed that the fight is not yet signed due to Jones while in Germany, telling reporters, “You gotta ask Jon (about not signing). I don’t know. I don’t like it, I don’t like it at all.”

Last year, Jones earned a decision over Gustafsson in a hotly-contested fight. Most felt an immediate rematch would be signed, but instead, Jones defended his title against Glover Teixeira. Meanwhile, Gustafsson took out Jimi Manuwa.

• AlphaOmega says:

To hell with Gustafsson, he’s 1-1 that -1 being a loss to Jones. Give it to Corimer who’s 12-0 or someone who’s actually on a winning streak

• hindsightufuk says:

I agree, I think sometimes UFC are too quick to announce matchups, maybe let the dust settle from a few events before naming the fights. At this stage I’d rather see dc vs jj, and let Gus fight once more beforr getting the shot

• AlphaOmega says:

They don’t seem to hate you for agreeing with me. Wonder if its cuz I used the word Hell.

• hindsightufuk says:

I’m just a loveable guy!

• fanoftna33 says:

I do not mind seeing Gustafson get a rematch here but agree that winning one fight after losing cleanly to the champ shouldnt get you a rematch, but as for Cormier I am not completly sold on him getting the shot either as he hasnt beat anybody really significant at 205 yet either. I would love to see Cormier vs Johnson, Evans , or Davis. The Henderson win was good but really Henderson has had 5 fights since coming back to the UFC and only beat 1 guy, Rua twice. And the first time should have been a draw.

• hindsightufuk says:

I agree to a point Fan, but I’m still thinking about the guy who ko’d Bigfoot and dominated josh Barnett for 5 rounds, not just the UFC fights, which alone aren’t overly impressive.