Hendricks Talks Weidman Super-Fight

Johny Hendricks

Johny Hendricks and Chris Weidman are still relatively new to wearing UFC gold, especially Hendricks, who just won the belt a few months ago.

However, Hendricks took his opportunity as co-host on “Inside MMA” to make a pitch for a potential champion vs. champion match with Weidman – down the road.

UFC president Dana White, also on the show, didn’t seem to interested in the idea. Hendricks, the welterweight titleholder, did say any possible bout with the middleweight champion would have to be “three-or-four” fights down the road.

“You are in a nasty division, packed with talent from No. 1 to No. 13,” White said. “You have a lot of work to do before you clean out the division and talk about Chris.”

Weidman will defend his belt next month at UFC 175 against Lyoto Machida, and likely still has a bout with Vitor Belfort – as long as Belfort gets licensed – to look forward to.

As for Hendricks, he is expected to meet the winner of Robbie Lawler-Matt Brown in his first title defense. He won the vacant belt with a decision victory over Lawler earlier this year.

In terms of weight, Hendricks cuts a lot to make 170 pounds, so competing at 185 or around there wouldn’t be much of an issue for him.

• AlphaOmega says:

Especially since Hendricks is 1-1, and in a lot of peoples eyes didn’t win the fight against Lawler. He’s acting like he solidified his hold on the WW division. Really? You lost to GSP, then got gifted an immediate title shot when he dropped the belt, and won a close decision against Lawler.

• JabCrossHook says:

Wait so if he lost to GSP why did GSP did retire so suddenly? Enough said, gsp knows he lost that fight I consider that to be him losing his belt. He retired cause he was no longer the best anymore.

• AlphaOmega says:

Strange..I seem to remember GSP leaving that fight with the belt. I do believe if he had lost it that wouldn’t be possible right?

• JabCrossHook says:

And I seem to remember gsp back pedaling being hurt multiple times and his face being a mess I seem to remember gsp was the only one in danger. I seem to remember everyone booing the decision except Canada and gsp nut huggers. I seem to remember fight metric favoring Hendricks. If gsp was a real champ he would’ve done a rematch not retire like a little bitch after getting his ass almost kicked badly. Not a real champ

• AlphaOmega says:

He still won.

• Dufresne says:

The way I saw that fight is that GSP barely won rounds 3 and 5 with round 1 being close, but the judges gave it to him. So in my mind GSP won the contest, but he lost that fight. Unfortunately for Hendricks, winning the contest is all it takes to keep the belt.

As for a superfight with Weidman, I don’t think that will ever happen. There are too many WW’s to challenge him and even if Hendricks manages to clean out the division I honestly don’t know if Weidman will be able to keep the MW belt as stacked as 185 is these days.

And on a side note, how shitty must it feel to be ranked #14 or #15 in the WW division after that comment by Dana. I’d be a bit insulted.

• Screenplaya says:

The GSP/Hendricks fight was close. I thought Hendricks might’ve just edged out a win, but the judges sided with the champ in round 1, and I can’t be too up-in-arms about that.

Anyone calling GSP a bitch for retiring, probably has shit for brains and should be applauded for being able to type and to use the internet.

Hendricks seems to have an inflated sense of his position in the sport, and needs to make sure he focuses on the target-rich environment that is the WW division.