Chael Sonnen’s Contract With FOX Terminated

Chael Sonnen

On the heels of a second failed drug test, the UFC and FOX Sports have cut ties with recently-retired fighter Chael Sonnen. The news, first reported MMAjunkie.com, has since been confirmed with a statement from the UFC and FOX Sports.

Sonnen has been a vital part of the FOX Sports 1 UFC team, co-hosting the weekly “UFC Tonight” show with Kenny Florian. He was also on FUEL TV before the switch was made.

The three-time UFC title contender was originally scheduled to face Wanderlei Silva, but Silva was removed from the bout after failing a drug test himself. Vitor Belfort was inserted for the fight, but it was scrapped when Sonnen failed his first drug test earlier this year.

Sonnen, 37 years old, retired on June 11, citing a decision to to remain active with his family after the ban was placed on testosterone replacement therapy. The failed drug test was actually a third for Sonnen, as he also was found to have not disclosed his use of TRT prior to his first world title fight with Anderson Silva in 2010.

An official statement was released confirming the news, stating, “The UFC and FOX Sports organizations announced today the termination of their respective broadcasting services agreements with analyst Chael Sonnen.

“This decision comes in light of Sonnen failing a second test conducted by the Nevada Athletic Commission for banned substances in June. Sonnen was previously under temporary suspension by the Nevada Athletic Commission for failing an initial test conducted in May.”

Sonnen is expected to still compete against Andre Galvao at Metamoris 4 in August from Los Angeles.

6 COMMENTS
  • fanoftna33 says:

    I really think this was the only way they could handle it. I love Sonnen on the mic and in studio but this guy is a convicted felon, he has lied repeatedly over the years and has been on peds for quite a long time.you just cant have a guy like this as the face of a multi million dollar company.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

  • AlphaOmega says:

    I figure he’s fired publicly now, then once everyone’s forgotten, we will see him quietly come back to announcing

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

  • fanoftna33 says:

    Alpha, yes that would not surprise me one bit, maybe some under the table money to insure a real talent like him does not go to Bellator. Take away all the illegal drugs and you still have one of the best guys in a booth ever, and now who do you think replaces him?

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • AlphaOmega says:

    Ya there’s no way they are honestly letting go of his mouth, he’s too smooth, funny, and really knowledgeable to actually be done with. I don’t know, Mir would be a good replacement, he did some good commentating for WEC so I’m sure he could transfer that, or they might have a roving list of fighters, like guest hosts type of thing, that could be cool.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • hindsightufuk says:

    much as i didnt have time for the guys antics or blatant use of certain substances, he understands marketing, is a damn good announcer, and has a huge fan base.
    i wonder if we could see him pop up with a WSOF for a while maybe? or perhaps One FC, seeing as how Rich already has a foot in over there.
    Maybe even a handling in the Vale Tudor Japan deal?

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • Screenplaya says:

    I think Forrest Griffin would be a good choice for a replacement. He has the charisma and knowledge, and he is a great ambassador for the sport and the UFC.

    If Chael is not secretly on retainer to the UFC, I think Bellator should grab him immediately. With Coker at the helm, I am very certain they will make an aggressive offer.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Follow 5OZ