FS1’s Karyn Bryant Breaks Down UFC 175 Co-Main Eventer Alexis Davis

ufc 175

Karyn Bryant believes the blueprint for success has been set before Alexis Davis. And, unlike many others, she has the tools to execute the plan.

Davis will challenge Ronda Rousey for the UFC female bantamweight title this Saturday night at UFC 175. Following five straight wins, including three inside the Octagon, Davis will take on the ultimate challenge in the unbeaten Rousey.

“I think Alexis needs to be an offensive jiu-jitsu player,” said Bryant, during a recent interview with FightLine. “A lot of women go in there and are worried about the armbar, trying to defend it. With Alexis’ background, being a black belt in jiu-jitsu, she knows how to be offensive.

“It is important for her to stick and move, not engaging with Ronda. We saw that (when Rousey fought) Miesha Tate.”

Davis (16-5) scored a split decision over Jessica Eye earlier this year following 2013 decision wins over Liz Carmouche and Rosi Sexton. Her last loss came in Strikeforce two years ago to Sarah Kaufman, while she also holds wins over Shayna Baszler, Amanda Nunes and Julie Kedzie to her credit.

“Alexis sounds very cheerful, playful and ready to have a good time,” Bryant said. “She knows all the pressure is on Ronda, which I agree with. Alexis has to go in there, look at Ronda as just another opponent and not everything that comes with it.

“This is an opportunity for Alexis that she can take full-advantage of.”

The Canadian-born Davis holds black belts in two disciplines of jiu-jitsu and held the Raging Wolf MMA bantamweight title. Of her 16 wins, seven have been submission victories and she has yet to be submitted in her career.

Rousey, of course, owns eight of nine wins via submission – all of which were with the armbar.

“Alexis gets on the ground for training and fighting a lot,” Bryant said. “She’s been doing jiu-jitsu for some time now and really put forward an offensive game. She’s going to have to do that to find success (vs. Rousey).”

We’ll have more this week on FightLine from Bryant, who will anchor most of the UFC programming on FOX Sports 1, as she discusses Rousey and talks about the main event at UFC 175 between Chris Weidman and Lyoto Machida.

• fanoftna33 says:

I am really looking forward to this fight, Rousey is such a talented lady that i find it hard to belive anybody can beat her. That said she has shown some weaknesses like Liz almost chokeing her and cardio issues ve Tate. Davis has good overall skills and can present a threat standing and grappling that is why I love this fight.

• hindsightufuk says:

gotta say i’m looking forward to this one as well. Ronda’s grappling is a joy to watch, much as i’d like to see her take a hit and lose, i also want to watch her put on a clinic. gonna be an awesome fight

• fanoftna33 says:

Feel the same way Hindsight, i belive she is the best out there so while in 5 years I can say I watched the most dominate lady ever I also want to remember the match where she finally lost. Like Tyson vs Buster Douglas, luckily I was at a buddies house who had HBO that night and even though we all loved Tyson we went crazy when Buster KOED him.

• hindsightufuk says:

i remember when Prince Naseem finally lost, i was gutted, but at least it had been on the cards. When Tyson went down i felt sick, just never wanted to see him lose, let alone get KO’d like that. And while Buster was a decent fighter, he shouldn’t have beaten Tyson, let alone put him down like that. Hated that night!

Look at the picture of Ronda on the front page, under the Ronda Still Wants To Prove Her Worth article. That face, that pout, just makes me want her to lose so bad. I really wish i liked her more, cos she is an awesome grappler

• fanoftna33 says:

Dang I havent thought of Prince Naseem Hamed in ages, loved watching him come into the ring, what a fighter.
    As much as I want to not like her I find myself unable to as she is so talented in that cage, plus Rhonda already being world class still training as hard and learning every time out is one of the things I admire most about her.
    Thanks for bringing up Naseem, I havent had a good boxing conversation in way to long.

• hindsightufuk says:

Have you seen what Nas looks like these days? I swear if you saw him in the street now you wouldn’t think twice about standing up to him if you didnt know him!
    i don’t get much out of watching boxing any more, but i did just yesterday pick up a 4 dvd bootleg of Hameds entire career. planning on watching that once i’m done with the 2003 release of K1 Grand Prix 10 year anniversary, pretty much every fight from 94 to 2003. fucking awesome watching Hug & Le Banner & Hoost & Aerts & Bernado in their prime. i still find myself cheering through some of the fights.

i’m trying to get a hold of Alexis Arguello’s career next, loved watching that guy too.

• fanoftna33 says:

Dang I would love to rewatch some of thoes k-1 fights myself. I remember watching Hug, Hoost and the like all the time, I even got a playstation K-1 game that i played to death. Loved watching Hug throw that axe kick, Hoost was just poetry in motion.

• hindsightufuk says:

remember when Hug got ko’d by Francisco Filho in his first K1 fight? First round as well, that was crazy man, i got goosebumps all over again when i rewatched that one.

I’m just done watching K1 Dream 98, Team Karate vs Team Kick!! such as awesome event, hilarious at times. Le Banner vs Sam Greco is a great fight. Le Banner was always my favorite of the bunch, but also the least successful. I remember going mental when he knocked out Ernesto Hoost

• hindsightufuk says:

also loved Mike Bernado, kinda sad watching him fight though

• sdouglasmc says:

For pure entertainment value, nothing beats the ring career of Tommy Morrison. IMO, he and Arturo Gatti (obviously) are must haves in any collection for our generation.

I miss boxing and I hate seeing that the UFC is going down a path that killed boxing for me. I thought boxing actually got better when Tyson went to jail. PPVs were forced to put on solid undercards and the lower weight divisions got a tonne of spotlight. More often times than not I would be more excited about the under card fights then the main events.

Now a days you pay $60 for one fight. No thank you. What completely turned me from boxing to MMA was the solid cards they would offer. I felt like I was actually getting a deal every time I bought one. The past year or two the UFC PPVs have been really quite weak, with the odd exception.

• hindsightufuk says:

Douglas, i agree, today we’re lucky to get 2 fights that are ppv worthy on a ppv. luckily i’m in the UK so don’t even have to consider paying for them, but for sure i wouldnt be paying out $60 to watch fucking Marcus Brimage or Uriah Hall fight anyone. now the prelims stretch into the ppv, and only the co and main event are sellable/buyable fights