Stunning Finish For Frankie Edgar At TUF Finale 19

Frankie Edgar

Former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar put forth a dominating performance Sunday night at The Ultimate Fighter 19 Finale, finishing BJ Penn and earning his third victory over “The Prodigy.”

Edgar, who has won two straight following three losses in UFC world title fights, admitted the win was an emotional one.

“It’s bittersweet,” he said. “I said I wanted to finish him, but I almost feel bad about it at the same time.

“Going into this fight, I didn’t worry about what BJ did, I worried more about what I was going to do.”

For Edgar (17-4-1), the win was the first time he’s finish an opponent inside the Octagon since a 2011 TKO victory over Gray Maynard. It was his fifth career knockout finish.

While Jose Aldo is currently injured and will not be able to defend his featherweight title as planned in August against Chad Mendes, Edgar isn’t going to sit and wait for his rematch.

“I want to fight for the title, or a fight that will get me close to a title shot,” Edgar said.

• Screenplaya says:

This fight reminded me of the early 80s boxing match in which Muhammad Ali fought Larry Holmes. Like Ali, Penn was making a comeback against a fighter in his prime. Like Ali, Penn got himself into great shape, in that he LOOKED great when he entered the ring. And then, also like Ali, he was blown out while unable to mount much of an offense of his own.

And finally, like Ali, Penn needs to hang ‘em up while the rest of us get busy trying to forget this fight.

• Screenplaya says:

Sorry, that last line should have said “unlike Ali.” Please Baby Jay, do not fight again. No one needs another “Ali vs Berbick.”

• hindsightufuk says:

looked lost didn’t he, you could tell he didn’t want to be in there. absolutely love the guy, that was so hard to watch

• AlphaOmega says:

I have a theory, so its just that, but I wonder if Penn didn’t take the fight just so he could be like look GSP I fought even after you retired

• AlphaOmega says:

And maybe since Frankie didn’t do all that much damage in the first two fights, he thought itd be ok this time. Or Penn just isn’t his old self anymore and blew what energy he had just getting to 145

• hindsightufuk says:

i don’t know what it was Alpha, but he looked like an amateur in there. that stance was just odd, i see better movement in my local gym. just very very strange, no doubt he got paid handsomely, hope he just kicks back and enjoys life now.
    if you’d watched that fight with someone who knows nothing about mma, or worse a true boxing fan, and told them this was one of the greatest p4p fighters of all time in any sport and has some of the best boxing in mma….. well you’d have been ridiculed!