As Expected, UFC 176 Has Been Scrapped

ufc 176

According to Yahoo! Sports reporter Kevin Iole, the planned August 2 UFC 176 card has been postponed.

This comes as no surprise, as the main event was removed recently after UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo suffered an injury in training. Aldo was scheduled to meet Chad Mendes in a rematch of a fight won by Aldo in Brazil via first round knockout.

We’ll have more information as it becomes known. The card was scheduled for Los Angeles and the Staples Center. It is expected to be rescheduled for October.

According to a press release by the UFC, the number of the event will just be passed over, meaning the planned UFC 177 card with TJ Dillashaw and Renan Barao will still be titled UFC 177 on August 30.

Below is the list of fights previously announced for the card, including a middleweight encounter between Gegard Mousasi and Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza:

UFC Featherweight Championship
Jose Aldo (c) vs. Chad Mendes

Middleweight: Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza vs. Gegard Mousasi

Lightweight: Gray Maynard vs. Fabricio Camoes

Female Bantamweight: Bethe Correia vs. Shayna Baszler

Flyweight: Jussier Formiga vs. Zach Makovsky

Middleweight: Derek Brunson vs. Lorenz Larkin

Lightweight: James Vick vs. Walmir Lazaro

Lightweight: Bobby Green vs. Abel Trujillo

Lightweight: Tony Ferguson vs. Danny Castillo

Lightweight: Beneil Dariush vs. Tony Martin

Welterweight: Alex Garcia vs. Matt Dwyer

8 COMMENTS
  • hindsightufuk says:

    fuck it anyway, this was one of the rare occasions i was looking forward to more than two fights on the card. Been wanting to see Gegard rematch Jacare for years, Gray vs Camoes, Bethe vs Shayna, Zack fighting, Bobby Green vs. Abel Trujillo and Tony Ferguson vs. Danny Castillo.
    Usually i’m lucky to want to watch one or two fights per card.
    have they even set the rest of the 177 card yet other than the most pointless rematch of all time?
    hopefully the whole of 176 will roll over to 177

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 2 Thumb down 0

  • hindsightufuk says:

    ok looking into it looks like Bobby Green vs. Abel Trujillo and Zack vs Formiga have been moved to Bader vs St Preux card in August (what a fucking awful main event). And Shyna/Bethe has moved to 176 so far

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

  • hindsightufuk says:

    Jussier Formiga vs. Zach Makovsky = UFC Fight Night 47 (August/Maine event)
    Bobby Green vs. Abel Trujillo = UFC Fight Night 47 (August/Maine event)
    Beneil Dariush vs. Tony Martin = UFC Fight Night 49 (August/Tulsa event)
    Danny Castillo vs. Tony Ferguson = UFC 177 (August 30/Sacramento)
    Bethe Correia vs. Sahyna Baszler = UFC 177 (August 30 /Sacramento)
    Gegard Mousasi vs. Ronaldo Souza = UFC Fight Night 50 (September CT event)

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

  • fanoftna33 says:

    I thought Mousasi vs Souza was a great main event, heck Mousasi just fought in a main event, and Souza is going for the #1 contender status so these are top guys, plus like Hindsight I think it is one hell of a rematch. These guys need 5 rounds.
    Shayna B vs Bethe C has all the makings of a great grudge match and if Bethe wins she is 1 fight away from a title shot. Tons of other great match ups as well, I would love to see the UFC treat these guys as more than a two man show, it looks like well Aldo is out so nobody will pay to see any of the other scrubs so we will scrap the whole thing, screw the fans who were going to go and the fighters who were ready to shine.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • hindsightufuk says:

    Mousasi Jacare is a better main event than a lot we get nowadays. and i t has to be five rounds, its a legitimate title eliminator. I think is being made the main event at UFN 50 now

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

  • YetiLee says:

    Somehow, Someway this has to be Jon Jones’s fault.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • AlphaOmega says:

    I get the whole, we want titles on our PPV, even though almost half their title holders are out hurt with no timelines of when they will be back. But there was other people to think about when cancelling this card, the fighters who spent thousands of dollars on a three month camp to not get paid then, and now have to wait longer before getting paid. The customers who bought the tickets, bought hotel rooms, made mini vacations out of doing it, and so on.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

  • Dufresne says:

    I was bummed when they announced that Aldo was hurt and the fight was delayed, but I wasn’t expecting them to cancel the event. The rest of the card was actually pretty solid, and sure Maynard/Camoes isn’t the strongest main event a PPV has ever had, but it’s no where near the worst one either. And I figured the rest of the card would help carry it through.

    I’m hoping this isn’t a trend where they cancel entire cards when the main event falls through instead of trying to make things work. We’ve gotten some questionable cards in the past when something like this happened, but I’d rather have an average card than have no card at all. And like AO said, those fighters and fans that were planning on actually being there are kinda screwed.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Follow 5OZ