For Daniel Cormier, it wasn’t a simple yes when the chance to face Jon Jones for the UFC light heavyweight title was presented to him.
After Alexander Gustafsson was forced out due to a knee injury, UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta phoned Cormier asking if he wanted the UFC 178 main event slot vs. Jones.
“There’s always going to be hesitation,” said Cormier, during an appearance on UFC Tonight Wednesday. “You hope to have three months to prepare for a title fight, but if my coaches came to me and said I have to beat Jon Jones in five weeks, I’d do it.”
Cormier defeated Dan Henderson earlier this year and proposed himself as the next challenger to Jones. However, officials had already promised Gustafsson a rematch. Jones tried to get Cormier in after the two engaged in several verbal battles, but the contract was signed.
The former U.S. Olympic wrestler stated that he and his coaches “all agreed” on taking the fight, adding, “We’ve got nine weeks to prepare, which is sufficient time.”
UFC 178 is set for September 27 from Las Vegas.