UFC Fighter Shoots Self, Taken Off Card

ufc fight night 51

Joe Riggs will not be fighting inside the Octagon for the first time since 2006 later this year after his hand gun accidentally went off while he was cleaning the weapon Monday night.

Riggs, who won the only season of Bellator’s “Fight Master” series, signed back on with the UFC recently. He was expected to meet Paulo Thiago at UFC Fight Night 51 from Brazil, but Sean Spencer will step in for him now.

“We were made aware that newly-signed UFC competitor Joe Riggs was involved in an unfortunate accident (Monday) night,” said the UFC, in a released statement. “While cleaning his permitted firearm (a pistol), the gun discharged, injuring his hand and upper thigh. Riggs was transported to a nearby hospital in Arizona where he is being treated by physicians.

“We wish Joe a speedy recovery.”

Riggs (40-14) went 4-4 in his first stint with the promotion, including a win over Nick Diaz. Thiago (15-7) has lost four straight, while Spencer (11-3) is 2-2 in four Octagon appearances.

Below is the current lineup for the card:

Heavyweight: Antonio Silva vs. Andrei Arlovski

Lightweight: Leonardo Santos vs. Lukas Sajweski

Welterweight: Sergio Moraes vs. Santiago Ponzinibbio

Welterweight: Paulo Thiago vs. Sean Spencer

Welterweight: George Sullivan vs. Igor Araujo

Female Bantamweight: Jessica Andrade vs. Valerie Letourneau

Bantamweight: Rani Yahya vs. Johnny Bedford

• Dufresne says:

I honestly have no idea how Paulo is still with the UFC. 0-4 is usually a pretty solid recipe for a pink slip unless you’re in a market the UFC is trying to get a foothold in like Australia or Asia, but they’re pretty well established in Brazil. I still like the guy and I hope he can pull one out here and get going again.

• hindsightufuk says:

have to admit I’m glad the UFC has done away with the strict 3 defeats and your gone policy. Used to be guaranteed if you lost 3 times you’d be out the door, i prefer to see fighters get a chance if they deserve it.
    I also wonder if Riggs has maybe blown his last chance at fighting in the UFC if he is going to be out a while. Was there any word on how bad the injuries were?

• fanoftna33 says:

Hopefully Riggs isnt permantly damaged. Got to admit though this is just plain foolish as cleaning a gun is always a careful process and making sure it is not loaded is always first priority. In other news I see the UFC is trying to sign Alverez vs Cerrone, hope that one gets done asap.

• hindsightufuk says:

Fan, that news has me more excited than any thing in the mma world right now. Just wanna see Eddie fight the best. And regularly

• THEGUNNER says:

that couldve been way worse.. sounds like he at least had it pointed downward he couldve shot anyone when that gun went off. Maybe if the ufc payed fighters more they would take the job more serious. I, thinking if everyone was making what a professional fighters worth they would show up and get payed. Somehow if 250,000$ was on the line fighters will show up in shape.

• fanoftna33 says:

Hindsight I just hope 1 it is true and 2 Eddie is 100% recovered from his concussion issues. And Agreed I cannot think of to many more fights that have me this excited, except for Diaz vs Silva but that is mainly just to see Diaz back.

• AlphaOmega says:

It’d be cool to see Alvarez in the UFC, but with Bjorn gone I don’t know if he will leave Bellator now