Breaking: Eddie Alvarez Free To Fight For Anybody In The World

scott coker

Bellator MMA announced on Tuesday that they have provided lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez his unconditional release from the promotion.

“We’ve granted Eddie his unconditional release. Eddie is free to explore the free agent market, we hold no matching rights, and we wish him the best in the future,” Bellator president Scott Coker said. “We sat down with Eddie and his team a few times, and it became pretty clear early on that he just wasn’t interested in fighting for Bellator in the future. We want guys in this organization that want to be here, and after the history Eddie and the former regime had here at Bellator, we decided to move on.

“We wish Eddie the absolute best of luck with whatever is next for him. It’s a new chapter for everyone involved.”

Alvarez and involved in a lengthy legal feud with Bellator over his contract prior to agreeing to a new deal. A planned pay-per-view main event title fight with Michael Chandler was nixed when Alvarez suffered an injury.

Before agreeing to return to Bellator, Alvarez had inked a contract with the UFC. Recent rumors indicated Alvarez as an opponent for Donald Cerrone, but the UFC has since signed Bobby Green to meet Cerrone.

“This was a long process but it’s a decision that everyone seems happy with. I think it’s important to say that I am genuinely thankful for my time at Bellator,” Alvarez said. “I know that sounds a little crazy given everything I went through, but I’ve fought there since 2009, and have been involved in some really amazing fights. The staff there always treated me great, and I’m going to miss seeing a lot of those familiar faces around for sure. Myself and my team had some really good discussions with Scott, but in my heart I knew I was ready to move on and start the next chapter in my career.”

Alvarez won the belt back when he defeated Michael Chandler last year. He is 25-3 in his MMA career, including 9-1 with Bellator. The lone loss came to Chandler.

Will Brooks won the interim title earlier this year when he bested Chandler after the Alvarez injury.

• fanoftna33 says:

Seriously awesome news here. It has been a long time coming for Eddie but now I hope the UFC gives him a good deal and we see him fight some top guys, maybe a get your feet wet type of fight against Ross Pearson to start then if he wins that a #1 contender fight.

• AlphaOmega says:

So is brooks no longer interim champ? How does that work?

Hopefully UFC is still interested in seeing him in their org

• fanoftna33 says:

I read that they are considering promoting Brooks to champion but have to talk to him about it.

• fanoftna33 says:

Now we get Eddie vs Cerrone at 178, great matchmaking. But how did they get him signed to a fight and signed so quickly?

• AlphaOmega says:

That it is weird, Cowboy tweeted that he had a fight two weeks ago and was starting training, so maybe this just now broke to the media, but has been a done deal for awhile.

• AlphaOmega says:

In other news 5oz still has no info about Riggs or War Machine beating their women.

• hindsightufuk says:

awesome news about Eddie, but Alpha I missed have missed this about Riggs beating his wife. has this just happened or is this old stuff?

• AlphaOmega says:

Sorry I was getting names mixed up, Riggs is the dude who shot himself, it was another former UFC fighter that beat his wife not long after War Machine beat up Christy Mack.

• fanoftna33 says:

Josh Grispi was the other guy Alpha.

• hindsightufuk says:

ah yes the Josh Grispi thing, for a minute I thought Riggs had done something else

• AlphaOmega says:

I got to thinking, outside of actual fights, the past few months MMA news has broken down into injuries, Failed/Running from drug tests, Staredown brawling, Drunk driving, Beating women, Accusing training partners of purposely hurting other training partners (All Overeem on that one), or bad blood with coaches/gyms or gyms/gyms. There hasn’t really been any good news lately

• AlphaOmega says:

Also forgot shooting oneself, and assault(usually at a bar)