Former Bellator Champ Among Those Released

Bellator

According to multiple sources, Bellator MMA has released 13 fighters, including former champion Attila Vegh.

Vegh won the light heavyweight title in 2013 over Christian M’Pumbu, losing for the first time in a Bellator cage recenty to Emanuel Newton. Vegh is 29-5-2 overall in his career.

Other fighters cut include Bryan Baker, Patrick Cenoble, Mark Godbeer, Desmond Green, Austen Heidlage, Sergio Junior, Mighty Mo, Shahbulat Shamhalaev, Ron Parks, Justin Torrey, Egidijus Valavicius and Rodney Wallace.

Bellator hired Scott Coker earlier this year to replace Bjorn Rebney as president, and Coker has stated plans to do away with the tournament-format that made Bellator famous. With less tournaments and plans for less cards, less fighters are needed on the active roster.

Shamhalaev challenged for the featherweight title, while Valavicius and Green were in recent tournaments. Baker won eight of 12 Bellator fights.

• AlphaOmega says:

Speaking of Bellator, Bonnar signed with them to end the virus that is Tito Ortiz..I bet that’ll make Dana happy that he lost another one of the kinda founding UFC guys (at least modern UFC) to Bellator.

• fanoftna33 says:

Bonner signed with Bellator, didnt see that coming.

• Dufresne says:

I’m surprised that they cut Shamhalaev, and even though I agree with them cutting Mo I’m surprised they cut one of their more marketable names. Mo is severely overrated.

• Dufresne says:

And I hope Stephan goes in and mops the floor with Tito before retiring again and going back to commentating.

• fanoftna33 says:

I do not think Tito has anything for Bonner at this point.

• hindsightufuk says:

Des green is a good prospect as well, vegh will fit in somewhere nicely too. Shamhalaev is the big surprise tho, really entertaining fighter. Bonner joining is not a sign, much as I like the guy, I don’t want to see him in bellator

• Dufresne says:

I just read that Mo signed an extended contract with Bellator.