T.J. Dillashaw Believes He Has Renan Barao’s Number

ufc 177

When it comes to confidence, UFC bantamweight champion T.J. Dillashaw is oozing with it.

Dillashaw, fresh off a dominating four-plus round performance vs. Renan Barao, will rematch the Brazilian this Saturday night at UFC 177.

Most were left stunned when Dillashaw (10-2) controlled the action against Barao (32-2) earlier this year at UFC 173 before stopping him in the fifth. For the Team Alpha Male Fighter, competing with him a second time is of no concern.

“I’ve got his number,” said Dillashaw, in an interview with TheSHOOT!, which you can view below. “I’m in his head. Now, I just have to go back and push repeat.”

Dillashaw has won six of eight fights inside the Octagon, including two in a row. Since falling in the finals of The Ultimate Fighter 14, the 28-year-old has only lost a split decision to Raphael Assuncao.

When they first met in May, Barao was on a seven-fight UFC win streak and the odds-on favorite to retain his title. In fact, Dillashaw only got the opportunity when Assuncao had to decline due to injury.

“I don’t mind rematches,” he said. “With Barao, it’s a little different situation. I’m getting the rematch because of the fact he was such a great champion for so long.”

FightLine will have complete coverage of all the action this weekend, including post-fight news and information.

• Screenplaya says:

I hope Dillishaw is right and he once again whupps Barao. It is a travesty that he is being forced to immediately defend against the guy he just knocked out.

The UFC seems to want to erase his previous victory, and I hope they DO NOT get their wish.

• Dufresne says:

If Barão had just been caught, I could understand the immediate rematch. But Dillashaw beat Barão from pillar to post and stopped him before the final bell. I can only guess that they’re hoping Barão wins and then Cruz wins his comeback so they can match them up.

• hindsightufuk says:

i’m looking forward to seeing what happens in this fight.

Moreso i was really looking forward to Henry Cejudo making his UFC debut, that is one talented guy.
    but looks like he’s dropped out with a few hours to spare before the weighins. no reason given yet

• AlphaOmega says:

Evy Rodrigues ?@vevyrodrigues 27m

Barão passed out during the weigh loss process. He was transported to a hospital and is better now, but won’t face TJ Dillashaw

• AlphaOmega says:

I don’t want to wish people injury, but this is now two title fights in a row that the person undeserving of a title shot has gotten injured in some way to be pulled from the shot. First was Gus, now Barao.

• AlphaOmega says:

Joe Soto is stepping in to fight Dillashaw for the belt, I honestly don’t know who that is

• AlphaOmega says:

I don’t know him because this is his UFC debut, he was suppose to be on the undercards..now he gets a title shot.

• hindsightufuk says:

Joe Soto is actually a very good fighter, but he shouldn’t be fighting for a UFC belt just yet.
    He won one of the early Bellator tournies, 2nd season i think. Lost his first belt defense to joe Warren. Won the first round easy, but then Joe KO’d him early in the 2nd round. Good fight.
    Actually a tough fight for Dillashaw, but I can imagine there will be a lot of refunds given for tomorrows PPV

• hindsightufuk says:

also, i havent put money on a UFC event for a while, but i had a bet on Cejudo and Barao to both win by KO. Sorry to have jinxed it folks

• AlphaOmega says:

Ya I read that after I posted it, I don’t really keep up with Bellator so I didn’t know his name, wasn’t trying to belittle his talent though. He’s 15-2 which is a very good record

• hindsightufuk says:

is it definitely going to be for the belt? or a non title fight?

• AlphaOmega says: